o no im cooking already and

Page 1 / 4
vtec_babe, Apr 7, 5:15am
i forgot it was butter chicken not satay and i need cream but i only have milk will it be ok?

cookessentials, Apr 7, 5:18am
You will find the butterfat content in the milk will not be enough to thicken the sauce and add a richness to it. Can you whip down to the dairy?

maandpa2b, Apr 7, 5:19am
would sour cream work?

uli, Apr 7, 5:48am
Since when is butterfat going to "thicken" a sauce? ?

Butter chicken is traditionally thickened by peeled ground almonds.

And you can use butter and milk if you have no cream - as that is what cream used to be LOL :)

In India there is no cream anyway - one uses butter - hence the name.

uli, Apr 7, 7:33am
So - how did it work out?

cookessentials, Apr 7, 8:40am
how's the broomstick?

cookessentials, Apr 7, 9:07am
uli wrote:
Since when is butterfat going to "thicken" a sauce? ?

Butter chicken is traditionally thickened by peeled ground almonds.

And you can use butter and milk if you have no cream - as that is what cream used to be LOL :)

Cream is made from pure butterfat. It has a butterfat content of between 34 and 40% and can be used as a cooking ingredient to add flavour to sauces and soups. It thickens without the use of flour

Anything else you wish to slam others over ulli?

toadfish, Apr 7, 10:08am
Post #6 - Love it. In fact I actually did lol (laugh out loud)... that should be the standard response from the "Pink & Fluffy brigade I think Pam.

PROUD TO BE PINK & FLUFFY! !

elliehen, Apr 7, 11:36am
Where's Robin?

hezwez, Apr 7, 11:44am
Droning along...

cookessentials, Apr 7, 6:54pm
Hi Julia, how are things with you? sounds like your trip away was pretty fab.

toadfish, Apr 7, 7:02pm
It was absolutely ammmmaaaazzziinnnggg, Took a couple of months to come down to earth (and also for my body to recover lol) But really was a trip in a lifetime, although part of me thinks I may go back... did i say that out loud. . my husband will be horrified... Will post some photos onto facebook for you.

cookessentials, Apr 7, 7:21pm
I think major trips like that certainly change you. We have planned for Italy next July - not the normal touristy stuff though, would prefer to rent somewhere in a small village and use as a base and then explore and discover from there.

greerg, Apr 8, 7:29am
Well said Pam. I think I must be pink and fluffy too although its not a description that would leap to the minds of people that know me I suspect. Hope we'll see delicious recipes after your Italian trip.

cookessentials, Apr 8, 8:41am
Yep, I am too! ! Bright pink with fluff just spilling out EVERYWHERE! ! LOL.

elliehen, Apr 8, 10:27am
Well, I've actually been told by the broomstick brigade that I am pink and fluffy, although I'm not too keen on labels - some say that every label is a libel.

However, I'll take it as a compliment since it appears to represent tolerance of others who are different, and that's good :)

cookessentials, Apr 8, 6:55pm
Nothing wrong with being pink and fluffy- beats warts and a broomstick any day LOL

ruby19, Apr 8, 7:27pm
Hi in response to the original posters question, Iuse sour cream in a lot of recipes that require cream especially savoury ones. I am sure it will alter the taste slightly, but in my experience it works. The only reason I use s/c is that I always have it in my fridge, as with cream I only buy it when I know I will use the whole bottle, which is very rarely.

cookessentials, Apr 8, 10:43pm
When you use either cream or sour cream, make sure the dish is at a low simmer before adding so it does not curdle and just heat gently before serving.

elliehen, Apr 8, 10:57pm
ruby19, I agree - sour cream is a very useful standby. With the words 'cream' and 'fluffy' in mind, I always use a dollop of sour cream to make tender, fluffy scrambled eggs.

uli, Apr 8, 11:46pm
Could you enlighten me - who is the "broomstick brigade" - and where did they get their name from?

And who is the "pink and fluffy brigade" - and where did they get their name from?

Thanks.

It might help to understand what you are talking about - because I thought we were talking about a recipe that needed cream - which wasn't available at the time ...

So not quite sure what you lot talk about in here ...

hezwez, Apr 9, 12:55am
Goodness uli, that high fat diet must stuff up your memory. The "pink fluffy brigade" was YOUR term in the above post #9 of
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=216687
And the broomstick brigade? LOL!

cookessentials, Apr 9, 1:02am
extremely short memory methinks. And yes, it WAS about cream until a certain someone decided to berate others ( as usual) over their contribution to the thread. Signed "pinky fluff"

fruitluva2, Apr 9, 1:07am
Lol @ #6 & 23 & 24

cookessentials, Apr 9, 8:00am
Heres a nice recipe for you vetc-babe

juice of 1 lemon
1. 2kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into large dice
¾ cup natural yogurt
3cm piece peeled ginger, grated
2 cloves crushed garlic
½ teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons garam masala or (½ teaspoon each, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves)
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 medium onions, sliced thinly
2 teaspoons peanut oil
2 cloves garlic crushed
3 cm piece ginger, finely grated
2 long green chillies, finely chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon paprika
425g can tomato puree
½ cup pouring cream
50g butter, diced
1 teaspoons sea salt
3 teaspoons honey
1 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
basmati rice, to serve

METHOD

Toss chicken in lemon juice, set aside for a few minutes. (This process helps the chicken to absorb the other flavours).

Preheat oven 240°C or 220°C fan-forced.

Meanwhile combine yogurt with ginger, garlic, dry spices and salt. Whisk to combine and mix with chicken mixture.

Transfer chicken mixture to a large casserole dish, cook uncovered in pre-heated oven 25-30 minutes, or until top is browned and chicken is cooked through.

Meanwhile, make the sauce.

Heat a large pan, add onion and peanut oil, cook until onion is soft and golden.

Add garlic, ginger, chilli, turmeric and paprika. Cook until aromatic (1-2 minutes).
Add tomato puree, bring to a slow simmer and cook covered 8-10 minutes.

Add pouring cream, butter, salt and honey, simmer 1-2 minutes.
Spoon cooked chicken into sauce, stir through. Add some of the chicken liquid to thin the sauce.

Stir through chopped coriander, serve with basmati rice