Old Anzac Biscuit Recipe

elliehen, Apr 11, 11:28am
This recipe came from one of my ancient New Zealand cookbooks and the result is different from the rather lumpy dry things that can result from some of the more recent recipes.There is no coconut in the recipe and the biscuit is flat and golden-brown, with a little 'chew' in the middle and crisp edges.

OLD ANZAC BISCUITS

Sift 1 cup flour & a pinch of salt
Stir in 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup rolled oats

Melt 125 gm butter with 1 slightly heaped Tablespoon Golden Syrup
Add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in 2 Tablespoons boiling water and stir into the melted butter mix

Pour quickly into dry ingredients and mix to combine

Rolls into small balls and place on baking paper on a cold oven tray
Flatten with a fork

Bake at 180*C for 8 to 9 minutes only and don't let them burn.They should be a reddish-brown, with a little puffiness in the centre (that settles on cooling)

Transfer to a wire tray to cool and crisp (just pull the baking paper across) and put your second tray in the oven
Makes approx 48 biscuits of medium size

ansypansy1, Apr 12, 1:18am
sounds like my mother's old recipe, although I think she DID have coconut in hers.
They were SO YUMMY

ansypansy1, Apr 12, 1:19am
Oh yeah, should have added. I make mine as an anzac slice now. Saves so much time, and tastes just as good.

elliehen, Apr 12, 1:25am
I made some yesterday, which prompted me to post it because it is slightly different without the coconut.I think the coconut often makes the biscuit a bit dry.

I like the crisp edge and the chewy middle of this recipe.

dbab, Apr 12, 2:46am
Do you use the same recipe to make a slice!
How long do you cook it for!
Thanks

books4nz, Apr 12, 7:49am
I use the same recipe for a slice, same oven temperature, about the same time as for baking the biscuits - till the top is firm. I sometimes ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle with coconut, then cut into squares while still warm.

natalie9, Apr 13, 3:09am
I often wondered about doing it as a slice, might try that now

roadie, Apr 14, 5:54am
Hi, silly questions, but when you say oats is it ok to use Tobys milk oaties!Breakfast porridge Oates.

Thanks

elliehen, Apr 14, 6:15am
No question is a silly one if you need an answer :)

I use ordinary breakfast oats, but you can use any you like.

roadie, Apr 14, 10:33am
Great!May give this a go tomorrow then!

cookessentials, Apr 22, 10:47pm
Bumping for those wanting an old recipe