Milking cows/raw milk people/cheese makers help?

nick2178, Apr 21, 8:48am
Hi, I live here in Upper Hutt and my new entrants class is learning about milk; where is comes from, what it is, and what it can make. We will be making butter and yogurt this term. We would love to make cheese and see a cow milked up close. Is there anyone out there who can help me out!

cookessentials, Apr 21, 8:57am
A class trip to see Biddy out of Masterton with her house cows and cheese making room would be good.

nick2178, Apr 21, 9:23am
Thanks, I googled her and it is a little too far to travel. I will show my class her website though. I love how she names her cows.

vmax2, Apr 21, 9:48am
Make an enquiry through this page.I'm sure there will be some small farmer like Biddy willing to help you out.http://www.facebook.com/nz-
.arm!sk=wall

dezzie, Apr 21, 10:46am
Lots of farmers name their cows, maybe not all of them in the big herds, but we had 575 of them at one stage and a good few of them had names, mostly to do with their personality or how they looked.like we had a very tall mostly white cow.so she was called Larry, for Larry Bird the american basketball player, we had a mouse because she was small and brown, a weka, because she was very nosey, Candy because she was sweet, lots and lots of names.

willemakeit, Apr 21, 10:55am
Post in farming, they may be able to help. good on you, as kids seem to think milk comes from a bottle only.I know my sister use to have school classes coming to her lifesyle block, where they got to feed a lamb, have a go at milking a goat etc. As a kid, we had classes come to our farm to see sheep being shorn, dogs rounding up sheep etc, kids had a ball. Some of them had never seen a sheep or cow in their life.

nick2178, Apr 22, 12:15am
Thanks for the help. I will post this in farming now!