Curds too fragile when cheese making?

happyrats, Apr 21, 12:48am
Hi there
My cheese curds are too fragile so they disintegrate.I use non-homogenised milk and calcium chloride.The curds initially cut well but when I either stir them or go to put them into a mold, most of it breaks up into little wee bits.
Would anyone have any idea why this might be please!
Thanks

fifie, Apr 21, 1:35am
I'm learning to perfect my feta cheese to lol, and have had my problems also, so maybe not much help to you. Not sure what your making, are you getting a clean break with the curds! before cutting if its not firm enough they will break. My recipe tells me to leave curds to sit 30 mins after cut carefully moving around every 10mins for curds to firm up before i put into mold. Or maybe its the milk, Davidt or Ashanti, are the ones to help you,hopefully they will be in later and can tell you what the problem is.

happyrats, Apr 21, 2:26am
Thanks Fifie, I've had this problem with making all the cheeses so far - feta, gouda, caerphily, asiago, blue, now camembert.I'm just ripening a batch of milk for farmhouse cheddar.Although I've 'made' these cheeses, I'm still a newbie so perhaps my break of the curds isn't "clean" enough . think I'll leave this next lot of curds a little longer and see if that helps.