Vege soup

pauline311, Apr 20, 7:26pm
I want to make vege soup in the slow cooker. Has anyone got any delicious vege soup recipes that all the family enjoy! thanks

biggles45, Apr 20, 7:52pm
I cut veges into smallish cubes - for 4 people I use 1 carrot, 1 onion, 3 sticks celery, 3 medium potatoes, about 1/2 a smallish swede, a couple of courgettes (but add any other veg you like). Put in slow cooker with 700 mls water, a couple of bacon bones, 1 tin watties chopped flavoured tomatoes (I usually use mexican flavour, but others are just as good), a good sprinkling of freshly gound pepper and some spaghetti broken into short pieces. About 15 mins before serving remove bones and add a handful of frozen peas. You can either serve as is, or I usually put about half of it through the liquidiser and add back to saucepan to thicken.

cgvl, Apr 20, 10:01pm
I grate my veges then either mash or liquidise them to make a nice thick soup.
Vegies including any or all of the following: potato, swede, carrot, parsnip, onion, celery, kumara.
Put all into slow cooker or large pot on stove, add enough water or vegie stock to cover vegies usually around 1litre depends on whether I'm cooking for 2-4 or 8+.
You can add soup mix or just split peas or even a king soup mix/stockpot mix.Bacon bones, beef/mutton bones or even a little meat, chicken meat or carcass for extra flavour.
Also add bay leaf if you have or a small pinch mixed herbs and a dash to 1tsp of curry powder (again depends how much you make, but its only for flavouring you should not be able to taste).
I also sometimes use frozen corn and peas as well.
Tomatoes if you like, a good way to use up a few excess ones, finely shredded cabbage/spinach/silverbeet can also be added towards the end.