Cheese

angel404, Apr 20, 9:53am
So am wanting to try my hand at cheese making. I buy raw milk at the farm gate. I just want to know how much milk ill need to make a batch of feta! And also how much feta does a typical "batch" make!
Or can you give me examples of quantities you use (doesnt have to be feta). Just so i can get a ballpark figure.

ruby19, Apr 20, 10:02am
I have not made feta, but have made halloumi, in my mad millies recipe they seem to use 4 ltrs. Not sure how much feta you would produce, but with the halloumi i get about 700 - 800g plus I can make aprox 200g ricotta.

davidt4, Apr 20, 10:07pm
Four litres of supermarket silvertop milk results in about 600g of feta or haloumi.I also make ricotta from the haloumi whey and get about 100 - 150g.

I have an idea that raw milk has a slightly higher yield.

angel404, Apr 21, 8:43am
Thanks guys. That gives me a good idea of what ill get. Theres a local cheese making class on 16th June. costs $155. you reckon itd be worth going! Or is it pretty easy to just follow a recipe for the first time! I also have no gear.

sumstyle, Apr 21, 8:46am
I had no gear either, and did a cheese recipe from the Annabel Langbein book - just used a teatowel.

Maybe do some soft cheeses at home first and see if it inspires you enough to do the course!

vmax2, Apr 21, 8:46am
Go to the course.Once you know how to make 1 cheese you can then follow many others from books and experiment.You don't need to buy expensive equipment.I bought a click clack container and drilled holes in it for my cheese mould.Cheap at $10 for a container that can hold about 10litres of milk made into cheese.