The Best Of ALison Holst

noodle34, Apr 12, 11:35pm
Does anyone have this recipe book 'the big red book'! I'm looking for the recipe for a berry pie with a lattice topping and I'm sure it's in this book but can't find anything on the net!

245sam, Apr 13, 12:34am
noodle34, "The Best of Alison Holst" has the following Dessert Pie recipes:

Apple Pie, Fruited Cream Flan, Tamarillo-Apple Pie, Lattice-Topped Peach Pie, Blackberry Pie (double pastry), Feijoa Pie, Sliced Apple Flan, Apple and Walnut Flan, Cherry Pies (filo), Rhubarb Cream Flan, Individual Fruit Tarts, Sweet Carrot Pie.

Which, if any of the above, is the recipe you're wanting - there doesn't appear to be one that 'fits' the description as in your posting.Maybe the recipe you're wanting is in another of Alison's books! Or alternatively, if you have had this pie made for you by someone else, maybe she/he used a combination of recipes!

Hope the above info' and thoughts help.:-))

petal1955, Apr 13, 12:42am
i Have a lattice topped Peach Pie in( Alison's Cooking Class Book 2 its got a green cover!)

Can post this if you want!

245sam, Apr 13, 12:50am
The recipe in that book is the same as the Lattice-Topped Peach Pie in "The Best of Alison Holst" which is why I suggested in my posting at#2 that the recipe noodle34 wants may actually be a combination of recipes - maybe the Lattice-Topped Peach Pie + the Blackberry Pie!:-))

falcon-hell, Apr 13, 4:17am
i have the big red book

dcon, Apr 13, 4:34am
Is it the one that is pictured in it - I've got the book but as I'm at work I can't check - I remember there being a photo of a lattice topped pie though

noodle34, Apr 14, 1:52am
Thank you everyone.it is the one that's pictured I'm pretty sure, I used to make it with boysenberries so maybe its not a boysenberry pie, are there filo cases with boysenberries in them! I seem to remember there being custard powder mixed with the berries!

245sam, Apr 14, 2:10am
noodle34, there are Cherry Pies (filo cases with cherries) and there is another recipe for Blackberry Pie that has blackberries mixed with custard powder, and then there's the Lattice-Topped Peach Pie i.e. three different recipes.I suggested above, at#2 and #4, that a combination of recipes had been used so IMO you used the Blackberry Pie filling (made with boysenberries) and the pastry crust and lattice topping of the Lattice-Topped Peach Pie - would you like both of those recipes!If so, I'll post them asap we've had our almost ready late lunch.:-))

falcon-hell, Apr 14, 2:11am
there are cherry pies made with filo,but they don't have custard powder mixed in,in her dollars and sense book she has a creamy fruit flan,which has peaches,plums,pears or apricots,and it has a plainer filling which has custard powder,but no lattice topping,can't wait to see what else people come up with for you.

noodle34, Apr 14, 3:07am
245sam.thankyou, I think thats exactly what I'm after:)

245sam, Apr 14, 3:43am
Here you are noodle34 - actually I just noticed that the filling for the Lattice-Topped Peach Pie has the fruit mixed with either cornflour or custard powder so maybe you just substituted boysenberries for the peaches.In any case here are the two recipes.

Alison Holst’s LATTICE-TOPPED PEACH PIE
A lattice topping looks elaborate but does not take long to make.Here the pie is made in a flan tin but it can also be made in a pie plate where, to hide the ends of the lattice strips, an extra strip is run right around the edge of the pie, or the bottom crust is folded inwards.

For a 23cm pie:
2 cups flour
75g cold butter
about ½ cup cold water
3 cups drained cooked peaches
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornflourorcustard powder
2 tbsp orange liqueur (optional)

Make short pastry using the flour, butter and cold water.Roll in 2 x 25cm circles and line a 23cm flan tin.
Mix the drained peaches with the remaining ingredients and fill the flan.
Cut the remaining circle in 1cm strips.Drape half strips across the flan in one direction.Fold every second strip back.Lie a strip crosswise, over half the strips.Unfold the folded strips again.Fold the previously unfolded strips back over the crosswise strip.Continue, forming a lattice design, then repeat on the other side of the pie.Press the lattice ends off at the edge of the flan tin.
Bake at220°Cfor20 minutes, then at180°Cfor15 minutes, then glaze while hot with hot apricot jam, if desired.
Serve warm.:-))

245sam, Apr 14, 3:44am
Alison Holst’s BLACKBERRY PIE
Three cups of blackberries will make a pie for four people - if you don't have as many berries as this you can use a mixture of chopped or grated apple and blackberries.The resulting pie is nearly as good as a 'straight' blackberry pie.
Blackberries produce an enormous amount of liquid as they cook inside their pastry case.For this reason I mix the berries, just before they are put into the pastry, with a large amount of custard powder.If you replace some of the blackberries with apples, reduce the amount of custard powder accordingly.If you don't have custard powder, use cornflour instead.

For a 23cm double-crust pie:
3 cups blackberries
¼ cup custard powder
¼-½ cup sugar
½-1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Make short pastry for a double crust 23cm pie.Refrigerate the dough for 5-10 minutes, then roll it out thinly to form two rounds big enough to cover the pie plate.Line the plate with one round of pastry, and leave the edges untrimmed.
Do not mix the fruit, custard powder, sugar and cinnamon together until the oven is up to heat, and all the pastry has been rolled out.Toss the fruit with the dry ingredients, breaking up the berries as little as possible.The larger amount of sugar makes a sweeter pie.Transfer this floury-looking mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate and cover with the remaining pastry.Press the edges of the pastry together, trim and decorate as desired.
Cut several steam holes in the upper crust, brush the pastry with beaten egg or milk and sugar if you like a shiny-topped pie, and put the pie into a very hot oven.
Bake at200°C-250°Cfor15 minutes.Lower the heat to180°C and cook for10-15 minutes longer.
Serve the pie warm, but not straight from the oven, with cream or icecream.:-))

noodle34, Apr 17, 4:32am
Thank you very much! Sounds like the blackberry pie is the one but with the lattice top:)

rachel, Aug 10, 5:30am
Hi Does anyone have the original recipe for Alison Holst's rhubarb lattice top pie with the sour cream in it from way back? My mother in law had it but her house just burnt down and she has lost all her favourite recipe books and would love the recipe again...thanks.