Gravy ideas please.

fluffylinda, Apr 17, 2:55am
hi im wanting to make gravy without the packet, any ideas thanks, linda.

dezzie, Apr 17, 3:22am
look in the "can you make gravy from oxo cubes" messages, theres an excellent couple of ways in there.

casey1232, Apr 17, 5:31am
What are you cooking!

tahmoh, Apr 17, 6:35am
Depends on what you're cooking. If you're cooking a roast, then gravy making is uber-easy. I'm not sure if you know the process so I hope I'm not insulting you by giving you this simple method for making gravy.
Once all the vegetables and meat have been removed from the roasting pan, drain almost all the fat/juices off. It depends on what type of fat/oil you've cooked in but basically, you just need enough in the bottom of your pan to adequately do the next step. Personally, I drain the pan so it doesn't pour quickly. Maybe there's a couple of teaspoons worth of stuff in the bottom. Not too much. From here, get a handful (approximately a raised dessertspoon full) of plain flour and sprinkle it across the base of the pan. Add a grind of black or white pepper. You'll have the pan sitting on top of a moderate element. Stir and mix any fat and bits of vege/meat that is in the pan and let the flour "brown up". Once you've decided it's the right colour, pour on around 1/2 a cup of water/stock from any boiled /steamed vegetables or if that's not possible then just some hot water from the kettle or tap. Keep stirring thoroughly with the back of a dessertspoon and when it reaches the thickness and consistency you're wanting (I like a thinner gravy), pour through a strainer into a jug or just leave in the pan and use a spoon to put it on the food.
Just play around with the temperature as you go. If it looks like the gravy is getting too thick, add a little more stock or water. If it's not browning up enough, turn up the heat a little. It's a five minute job at most.