Yeast quanities

strange, Apr 8, 7:33pm
I've noticed that there is a huge difference between flour and yeast ratios using the same yeast. Some recipes can have as little as 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried yeast and some can up to 2 tablespoons for the same amount of flour. like for really similar recipes. Just seems strange to me.

zirconium, Apr 8, 7:57pm
We've found the amount of yeast you need can vary even from batch to batch when using the breadmaker for the same recipe. Always have to do a test loaf for every new bottle of yeast. :(

kay141, Apr 8, 8:10pm
Some of the no-knead breads where you leave the dough for 12 hours or so to rise have very small quantities of yeast. So perhaps the amount is determined by the speed of rising in the recipe.

strange, Apr 8, 8:15pm
Take for example hot cross buns. one recipe has 4 cups of flour. 1 1/2 teaspoons of yeast and another recipe has the same flour but 4 teaspoons of yeast and yet another 2 tablespoons of yeast. All can be done by hand and share similar ingredients etc

strange, Apr 8, 8:16pm
and they all specify dried yeast. (not fast or rapid rise etc)

pheebs1, Apr 8, 8:26pm
also some say to prove yeast before and some you just throw in with the flour
i guess you find a recipe that works for you and stick to it,less yeast makes for more dense bread sometimes and i like mine light and airy so i bang quite a bit of yeast in

strange, Apr 8, 8:29pm
the recipes I'm talking about use dry yeast that you can't just chuck in cos of the need to prove. So not a matter of different yeasts or different methods.

lilyfield, Apr 8, 8:43pm
a lot depends what else is in the recipe. A lot of fat needs far more yeast to "lift" it

harrislucinda, Apr 8, 9:00pm
thelastbottleibroughtjustlastweeksaid1tsppercupfloursodid thatinmylastbatchofxbunsturnedoutgreat

kinna54, Apr 9, 5:00am
Agreed, my recipes tend to have the 1tsp yeast to 1 cup flour as well, but I also think it depends upon what setting the bread is baked on, as rising times for some recipes and settings are longer, and as lilyfield said the ingredients; as eggs and milk added to a recipe do alter the rising.
Haven't had a lot of experience with fresh yeast, or cake dried yeast.