Did anyone see the Masterchef episode -

vintagekitty, Apr 8, 4:54am
Last night with french onion soup served inside the buns!. I watched it today and remember my mama serving these in the late 70's at dinner parties. Now, I thought about doing the same for a dinner party this week but want to know why the soup does not leak out the buns!- is it the toastyness!.

vintagekitty, Apr 8, 4:57am
And could you use any soup in the toasty buns!

elliehen, Apr 8, 4:58am
They painted the insides with a garlicky butter mix I think and then baked them to crisp them.The recipe should be up by now.

elliehen, Apr 8, 4:58am
They painted the insides with a garlicky butter mix I think and then baked them to crisp them.The recipe should be up by now.

Found it!

http://tvnz.co.nz/masterchef-new-zealand/masterclass-ep-1-french-onion-soup-4769305

vintagekitty, Apr 8, 4:59am
great, A thousand thank yous. So the garlic butter acts as a membrane to stop it spilling its guts everywhere!.

elliehen, Apr 8, 5:03am
You try first ;)

olwen, Apr 8, 5:07am
Somewhere I have a recipe for apple stilton soup served in buns.We did it a few years back. The trick is not scooping the buns out too thin and toasting them

dezzie, Apr 8, 5:39am
Theres a roadside cafe/restaurant over by kaikoura that does the nicest seafood chowder in buns like that, its truly devine. (For the life of me I can't think of the name of the place)

elliehen, Apr 8, 5:59am
BTW Simon Gault said to buy a Cob loaf from a good bakery.He didn't expect people to bake the bread too ;)

vintagekitty, Apr 8, 6:10am
phew, there's only so many hours in my day:)