Hot Cross Bun recipe needed (without a breadmaker)

Page 1 / 2
nikkib90, Apr 2, 8:58pm
Help, I need an "easy" hot cross bun recipe to make with the little ones for the in laws that are coming this weekend.anyone out there have a good one!

harrislucinda, Apr 2, 9:23pm
thisisafriendsfrom yearsago2tspdried yeast2ozsugar
1lbflour2ozcurrantorsaltanas2tsp mixedspice10ozmilk2ozbutterpinch salt1egg
warmmilkaddyeast1tspflourand1tspsugarfromaboveleave10to15minsiftallingedrubinbutteraddbeateneggtoyeastthenmakeadoughwithmilknottoostickie
standinbowluntildoubleit.ssizeKneadonflouredboarduntilfeelssmoothdivideinto20smallballsleave to riseagainbake15minin hotoven
sorryoldmeasurement asold

ayglepaygle, Apr 2, 11:41pm
This is the recipe I use. I got it from a magazine years ago (advertising Surebake I think!)
Put into a bowl and stir together
2 cups white flour,
1 tsp salt,
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Surebake.
Add 1 cup cold water followed by 1 cup boiling water.
Stir to a paste and leave to stand 2-3 minutes.
Add and stir in
50gm butter (softened),
2 eggs, (room temperature)
2 tsp allspice,
1 tsp cinnamon (I use cinnamon and mixed spice and double the amount))
Stir in 3 cups flour and knead for 4-5 minutes, adding more flour if the dough is too sticky.
Add 1 cup currants (I use sultanas and put closer to 2 cups to make it more fruity, you can also add 1 tbsp mixed peel)
Knead for a further 3-4 minutes.
The dough should be soft, smooth and easy to stretch.
Cover and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
Flatten dough, divide into pieces about the size of an egg.
Place on greased tray ( I use my roasting dish liined with baking paper) leaving 1/2 inch between each piece.
Cover and proof in a warm place until about double the size.
While the buns are proofing, prepare a thick piping mixture by mixing together
1/2 c flour,
20 gm butter,
1 tsp baking powder and enough water to give a thick batter.
When the buns are ready to go into the oven pipe crosses onto the buns
Bake at 210 C for 25 minutes ( I usually check after 20 min and turn oven down if tops are browning too much)
Brush glaze over as soon as the buns are taken out of the oven.
Glaze - 1/2 c milk, 2 tbsp sugar
Heat until sugar dissolved

The recipe says it makes 18 but they are huge!
I usually make 25 as they fit in my large oven dish in rows of 5x5

Good luck!

zuggle, Apr 2, 11:59pm
This one is dead easy. Richard Till's original I think:

Hot cross buns

1 cup milk
1/2 cup hot water
2 Tabs sugar
2 Tabs dried yeast
2 cups flour
100g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tabs mixed spice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cocoa
1tsp vanilla essence
1 cup dried mixed fruit
2 1/2 cups of flour

Mix milk, hot water and 2 Tabs of sugar in metal bowl.

Sprinkle in yeast. Leave to stand until bubbles appear.

Add 2 cups of flour and leave to stand.

Cream butter and sugar, add egg, salt, spices, cocoa and vanilla. Combine the two mixtures and add mixed fruit. Add remaining flour to make firmer dough.

Knead well.

Leave to rise until doubled.

Knead then cut into 20 pieces and form into buns.

Let rise until more or less doubled, make cross slash in top before baking and cook 225C for 12-15 minutes.

Bring out of oven and glaze immediately with two teaspoons of sugar mixed in heated 1 1/2 tspns of water.

clair4, Apr 3, 12:49am
Golly Gosh, they all sound nice.Which ones will I make!

nikkib90, Apr 3, 1:15am
They sound fantastic! I think I will try the Richard Till one tomorrow morning and see how it goes, if all well (and that is a big hit and miss with my baking) we will try again this weekend! Thanks everyone, there is often so much wisdom on here.

lilyfield, Apr 3, 9:15am
I have just made those Richard Till ones, they came out soooo yummy and fluffy .Have ignored your instructions how to and chucked everything together in the mixer and beat hell out of it, in the hot water cupbord until double, shape , fits 25 in roasting pan.,rise again-Perfect result

zuggle, Apr 4, 8:16am
Lilyfield, I made another batch late afternoon and partner did not want tea, just asked if he could skip it and have a few more buns because they were the best he'd ever tasted! Who am I to challenge a man complimenting the cook!
It's such an easy method, isn't it! I thought mine mightn't rise (because of cold air temp here) in final stage before oven, so placed on oven tray on top of crockpot turned on high with a little water in the bottom - perfect solution!

lilyfield, Apr 4, 9:36am
lets pat each others back

zuggle, Apr 4, 10:53pm
Yes! Well done, lilyfield!

harrislucinda, Apr 5, 4:34am
i have just maderichards1,sin thebreadmakerbestever
after doing sameyesterdaybyhand,chookswilleatthem like rocks

korbo, Apr 5, 8:25pm
how long does it take for the yeast to bubble. do you use hot or cold milk.

lilyfield, Apr 5, 8:32pm
I did not even let my yeast bubble- just used lukewarm water and milkpowder and chucked everything in the mixer, kneeding for along time until dough comes away easely from the side of bowl.

harrislucinda, Apr 5, 8:47pm
ifdoingrichardsthewaterwillmakeliquidwarmm
ijustputallin thebreadmakerturnoutgreat

suicyco_nz, Apr 6, 12:15am
Made the Richards ones and they have turned out great!Very yummy and nice & fluffy :)

zuggle, Apr 6, 2:18am
Made my second batch today - just beautiful ("my" Richard Till's recipe). Mr sat in conservatory with plates and cutlery at the ready, lol!

chasing, Apr 6, 4:59am
Just made Mr Till's hot cross buns and it's the first time I have managed to get a bun look like a bun and better still they taste just like a hot cross bun! YAH at long last. Thanks Mr Till and zuggle.

maggie197, Apr 6, 5:32am
I also gave Mr Till's hot cross buns a go today, and were a great success.
thank you zuggle for sharing that recipe. I also put my newly purchased yeast in the freezer (a tip I read on another thread here).gee I love you 'recipe' people :)

lodgelocum, Apr 8, 2:57am
They look really nice, just like bought ones, actually no, nicer than bought ones.

harrislucinda, Apr 8, 3:58am
geegoodx aswellineverbotheredwith thexassooo goodgoteaten allupwith outthe x

loody, Apr 8, 9:01pm
I made the Richaard Till ones yesterday - I have never made hot cross buns before, and they turned out perfect!yummmmmmmmmm, thank you for posting the recipe :)

strange, Apr 9, 12:18am
so are people using 2 tablespoons of yeast granules for richards recipe! just smells rather strong tho its a lot of yeast

strange, Apr 9, 11:23pm
Has anyone noticed that in the book "bake' Alison goften does not tell you to knead the dough after its in the food processor. is that cos she would be using a dough hook. doesn't specify at all I don't think

strange, Apr 9, 11:23pm
sorry thats for hot cross buns

suie1, Apr 10, 2:48am
No knead Hot Cross Buns - 30g Compressed Yeast, 1t Sugar, 1t flour (cream together & add 1 1/2 Cups warm milk, stir until combined leave in a warm place until frothy - (about 15 mins) Sift 4 C flour, 1t salt, 1/2C Sugar, 1T Cinnamon, 1 T Mixed Spice, rub in 60g butter, add 1 C sultanas or raisins. Lightly beat 1 egg & add to dry ingredients with yeast mixture, stir well with a wooden spoon until well combined cover and leave in a warm place until doubled in bulk, turn out on to a well floured board knead lightly to form a ball split into 5 equal portions, cut each 5th into 3 roll each piece into a ball & place in a greased slice tin 30x20cm leave to rise then bake at 225 deg c for 15-20mins or until they sound hollow when tapped.
I make these in a chocolate version as well just substitute 3T flour for 3T Cocoa powder & use choc chips instead of fruit.