I LOVE! My pasta machine!

goldgurl, Mar 27, 11:14pm
scored a pasta pot set AND pasta machine off TM a couple of weeks ago.all boxed new too :)NOTHING beats fresh made pasta :)Just wanted to share that hahaha.

beaker59, Mar 28, 12:05am
It is better EH! certainly I like mine which is a cheap warehouse one. I started by hand making and hand rolling which was good but so tiresome.

Do you start your dough in a foodprocessor I do takes another chore out of the process now with preplanning its almost easier than dried pasta.

goldgurl, Mar 28, 12:37am
I don't own a food processor *sigh*so I do my dough from scratch by hand.pure love baby lol.Doesn't take long.5-10min knead.in the fridge to rest.But yeah, I used to handroll it and mate, what a bugger of a job that was.I used to make a three layer lasange (4 if I was feeling energetic! lol) but when I use the pasta machine.I was so proud that with the same amount of dough, I made 5 layers! lol.

Dried pasta doesn't even compare - completely different taste!

sarahb5, Mar 28, 12:48am
I have one that I've never used and I should - what flour do you use!

goldgurl, Mar 28, 12:58am
I just use plain flour and whole egg.works fine for us - being on a budget and all lol.Roughly 1C flour :2 whole eggs.

What about you beaker - do you just use the yolks and 'proper' flour!

mwood, Mar 28, 3:20am
now that's a good tip thanks

pheebs1, Mar 29, 4:41am
oh im so jealous! i was looking for one a week or so ago and found none on here
well done you!
now does anyone out there have one they want to sell!

pheebs1, Mar 29, 4:52am
ok i dont know where i was looking
there are tonnes for sale!
,mm pasta by the way what kind of machine did you get off here!

akd100, Mar 30, 10:32am
I use high grade flour which is fine or 00 flour, which is the best of the best.I do one egg to 1 cup of flour and a wee bit of water.But it's just whatever works for you I guess.

janny3, Mar 30, 12:54pm
Thanks for the positive feedback.Haven't used mine since my hands swelled up.But now reading this thread will try to knead the dough in the breadmachine.Is that 1 egg per 100 g flour!

sarahb5, Mar 30, 9:39pm
I haven't heard of 00 flour but do have high grade - might have a go at making my own lasagne sheets for tonight's dinner

clair4, Mar 30, 10:16pm
What is 00 flour!Where do you buy it!

cookessentials, Mar 30, 11:15pm
00 flour is very finely milled flour used often in Italian pasta, but you dont HAVE to use it. I buy mine from Moore Wilson. Check your international aisle at your supermarket.

very_hotpants, Mar 30, 11:38pm
High grade flour - its a bit tougher than standard and used for breads and other goods that are kneaded.

Standard Flour is lighter and for biscuts cakes and slices so when they rise the weight doesnt mske the cake or biscut collapse.

katalin2, Mar 31, 12:11am
I have had an Italian one for about 30 years- sold it on TM last year as I was not using it enough and have been in the process of getting rid of non essentials since moving into a new home and wanting to be less cluttered. Decided to do what my mum used to do- make it by hand on the few occasions we want fresh pasta- it is not a big deal. We are not huge pasta eaters since the kids have left home. Suggest people either borrow one for a while or ask friends how often they actually use it before buying one.

barneyboy1999, Mar 31, 3:22am
I've never made pasta but getting excited after redeeming (approx.) 340 flybuys yesterday on the Mad Millie one.Hoping I have success with it as I love pasta.

beaker59, Mar 31, 4:21am
I use high grade flour because its what I have and that ratio 1 cup flour 2 eggs and a bit of salt into the food processor and whizz it up goes into tiny balls like couscous tip it onto the bench knead for a few minutes then wrap in gladwrap into fridge for half an hour quick knead and then flateen into pieces and roll in the pasta machine then I like to dry mine for 20min before cutting.

Yes lasagne is great and I also love stuffed pasta(not sure of name ragiletto maybe!) but some cooked meat onion spice herb and finely chopped and cut circles from the sheet with a glass and then half teaspoon of stuffing in center and fold over and press edges to seal. A favourite with leftover roast chicken mmmmmmmmmmm

beaker59, Mar 31, 4:23am
I use mine about once a week on average though some weeks not at all then we will go for a month where its every second meal as the mood takes us :)

unknowndisorder, Apr 23, 8:21am
I have to say that after reading this thread, I decided to try one. I'm not a pasta fan, but have enjoyed making it, and tonight decided home-made spaghetti is way nicer than dried spag, as is the lasagne.
Doesn't take long either and depending on size of egg I use as to whether I add a bit of water or not. I'm using 1C high-grade flour to 1 egg with a pinch of salt.

catlover28, Apr 23, 8:34am
Sounds like a labour of love!

badams1, Apr 23, 8:56am
lord, mines covered in dust .never really used it.however i might just get cracking .watch the space.x

samanya, Apr 23, 8:59am
I've had an Italian pasta machine for a few years now & although it's time consuming to make, home made pasta is 'the best'.
I have a vegetarian niece & we spent time making pasta recently .I quickly blanched some spinach & put it in whilst 'whizzing' the pasta & once cooked, her anti spinach sister ate a heap. Just told her it was green pasta & it went down a treat.

biggles45, Apr 23, 9:05am
Son bought me one for a birthday. I use ordinary high grade flour, and mix/knead by hand. It is a bit long winded but worth it, much nicer than bought pasta.