Glass bottles for home made sauce etc

Page 1 / 2
dibble35, Mar 27, 10:22pm
Hi, are the glass bottles that you get drinks such as certain juices and energy drinks OK to save and use for homemade tomato sauce next summer, I know they are a bit small but might be good to give away as gifts to rellies that have decided they really like my sauce. They have a screw cap that comes down the bottle top by about 1cm and a rubber insert in that which i'm hoping will make them airtight, but they mightn't suck down if you know what I mean. TIA

purplegoanna, Mar 27, 10:39pm
i buy lemon and barley water i a screwtop (jam lid type) glass bottle, the lid has a rubber seal in it, i wash and store then when i use i prewash in superhot suddsy water then put in oven at 100" for 10min and pop the lid in the oven for 2 mins to soften the rubber and then quickly bottle my sauce and put lid on with tea towel, neva had any problems.

dibble35, Mar 28, 1:26am
thanks, I would imagine these tops would be Ok, but dont want to waste a batch of sauce if it didnt work, its not a very wide cap/lid. probably only a few cm across, and they wouldnt suction/pop down I wouldnt think.

elliehen, Mar 28, 3:19am
Some of the recipes for tomato or plum sauce in the old cookbooks say to 'cover when cold' and I think that's what cooks in earlier times used to do, sometimes sealing the top with paraffin wax.

Or do you mean tomato sauce as in sauce for pasta!

korbo, Mar 28, 3:31am
I use any ole glass bottle, always with a lid tho. keep them clean, put the sauce in, leave to go cold and put the lid on. Never lost a bottle of sauce in 25 odd years of making sauce.good luck. good idea to start collecting the bottles and jars(for next year's work).

samsnan, Mar 28, 4:05am
x1
Like korbo I also use any old bottle I can find. Screw top wine bottles are excellent and if I run out of glass bottles I have also used 1 or 2 litre plastic milk bottles well cleaned and also like korbo I have never lost
a bottle of sauce in 40 years of bottling.

lurtz, Mar 28, 4:11am
I use thoroughly cleaned and dried in the oven,recycled jars and bottles plus tops, for condiment tomato and plum sauce. As elliehen and korbo say,you canbottle it when it has cooled. However, like purplegoanna,you can bottle from hot if the jars glass container are warmed in the oven, so the hot sauce doesn't break the glass. I warm the glassin the oven, and let the sauce cool just a little, because it's easier for me to handle. Allgood advice given in this thread. Good luck:-)

seniorbones, Mar 28, 4:11am
I love saving bottles and jars! Especially If its a nice shape bottle even with some pattern on it I used to keep them all, then we thought we might move and had a huge clear out and threw a lot out into the recycle bin! and we are still here :-0)

dibble35, Mar 28, 4:45am
thanks for all that info,this was the first year i made tom sauce and tom relish and was a great success. Did the old jar in the oven way and pour in hot sauce and lid on straight away, like to think that the oven is killing off any possible lurking germs. I never thought of wine bottles, now a days with the screw top lids they'd be perfect

purplegoanna, Mar 28, 5:13am
just double check all your lids have popped down, any that havent need to be eaten now.

gilligee, Mar 28, 5:43am
I never used to seal my bottles of sauce. Just a cork when cold used to do the trick.

fogs, Mar 28, 5:46am
I use the baby steriliser Milton to sterlise old bottle jars and lids then warm them in an oven or with hot water so they don't crack when the sauce ,jam or pickle goes in

nevi, Mar 28, 7:19am
We do the same, use little screw top bottles to give away which works really well, just reiterate with others above to keep everything sterile.We found in the past that some we had corked had gone off, so when screwtops came on the scene it was great.

pamellie, Mar 28, 7:08pm
Keep an eye on your local op shop. They will have a stash of jars and bottles somewhere. Last time I made cordial I went and got a whole heap ofbottles (different shapes and sizes) all for 20c each. They had a lot of bit on the side (!) bottles which had previously had sauce in them, they would be perfect for you.

dibble35, Mar 28, 9:25pm
I saw a whole lot of bottles and jars at a school gala day I went to on saturday, was thinking of buying but the room was really really crowded, back to back people and nobody was moving and i got a bit claustrophobic, got out of there really quick while i was still near enough to the entrance.

dezzie, Mar 28, 9:33pm
My local warehouse had big bottles (I'd guess 750 ml size) on the end of an aisle for $2 a pop I saw yesterday, some were nice coloured ones even, with the flipdown wire lids, maybe for a few bottles for gifts they might be the thing.Sauce for home I just put into juice plastic bottles and freeze.

uli, Mar 28, 9:40pm
Try Arthur Holmes if you want to make gifts:
http://www.arthurholmes.co.nz/index.php!cPath=1177

iriegirl, Mar 28, 11:04pm
My favourite bottles for sauce are used Grolsch beer bottles, they have a swing top and are a great size. Better still I make the blokes in the house drink the beer first! They think it's a great idea!

purplegoanna, Mar 28, 11:19pm
watch he cheap warehouse & farmers ones sometimes the wire isnt made tight enough to create a proper seal on the bottle

punkinthefirst, Apr 2, 3:59am
I clean and sterilize small beer bottles and recap them when I fill them with sauce or whatever, using a cheap bottle capper and metal caps. No problems with keeping the contents, so long as everything is properly sterilized.

willyow, Apr 2, 4:10am
Screw cap wine bottles are great forputting other things in. Red wine ones (dark brown or green)are best as they don't let the light in which cando some damage to somefoods.

makespacenow, Apr 2, 4:21am
for long term things i do the secondary sterilisation too
otherwise what pg said above but blackcurrant flavour barkers.their necks are wider too so if you prefer your sauce thicker or with bits (garlic chillies herbs etc) it fab.
or big bottles from sweet chilli sauce
i usually ask parents at school to save their jars etc for me and family too.reward them with some home made stuff for it.so my jars etc are totally free
then wash them and place in oven @ 100°c for half an hour .never had an item to go off yet.

valentino, Apr 3, 2:23am
Best bottles out for Home Made Ginger Beer.

pickles7, Apr 3, 3:23am
The glass will shatter instead of the cork blowing out. Once one bottle goes you need to be very game to rescue the others, often they will all burst anyway.
Used wine bottles are great for sauce, used sparkling wine bottles for ginger beer, you can buy the cages for the corks at a home brewing outlet, or Bin Inn.
Hint for getting to use all the sauce is to wash the bottle out with water and add that to a stir fry etc.

purplegoanna, Apr 3, 8:01am
thats the brand barkers lemon barley, fantastic sized bottles to keep for sauces etc.also like you my deal for friends and family is 1 lge jar or bottle of whateva for every 10 emptyjars with lids.it you print a nice querky reminder out and stick it to peoples fridges when you visit its amazing how many people do 'remember' to save their jars for you.