Pork Belly

seniorbones, Mar 27, 1:37am
I went to someones place and had pork belly, she said she boiled it first with chinese style spices star annise (sp) etc, then roasted it, wish I had written it down as now I cant remember.any recipes please and how long do I boil then how long do I roast.it just melted and was delish.

davidt4, Mar 27, 1:43am
This way doesn't involve boiling the meat, but it is delicious and very simple.

Pork Belly/Ribs with Star Anise (Cambodia)

1 kg pork belly or ribs
6 star anise pods
4 cloves garlic
4 tab palm sugar
½ c light soy sauce

Cut pork into three pieces, cut diamond pattern in flesh to help absorb marinade.

In mortar crush star anise, pound with garlic until completely broken down.Add sugar and soy sauce.Marinate pork in this at least 90 min, or up to 24 hours.

Roast at 160C, basting periodically,for about 3 hours or until completely tender.

davidt4, Mar 27, 1:45am
Here is a slightly more complicated recipe.

Spiced pork Belly
(takes 48 hours
)
allspice berries 1½ tsp
whole star anise 1, broken into pieces
a small nutmeg ⅓
black peppercorns ½ tsp
coarse sea salt 300g
lemon 1, finely grated zest and juice
pork belly 1 kg
2 large onions sliced in four discs
350 ml dry white wine

Combine the allspice berries, star anise, nutmeg and peppercorns in a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar until powdery. Add the salt and stir. Add the lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the spice mixture and mix well.
Rub mixture all over pork. Cover and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours, turning after 12 hours.Rinse quickly and pat dry.
Bake at 150C for about four hours resting on onion slices, with wine to comejust below bottom of pork.Top up wine as necessary.

skt01, Mar 27, 2:24am
i use to just season the belly with salt, pepper and rub it with oil then roast it on a rack, crakling side up and sitting inside a oven pan dish with water underneath the pork. (make sure the water is not touching the pork its just for steam) and just slow roast till crakling is crakling lol.roast on 160 - 170 degrees