Never used Filo pastry before...

gillies08, Apr 6, 3:08am
Hi everyone I have a heap of ingredients I want to put together in filo pastry but not sure how long it takes to cook etc... I have chicken, bacon, cream cheese and a tangy plum sauce... . Should I pre cook chicken and bacon before wrapping in pastry? ? ? ? And does filo like a hot or warm oven? ? ? Thanks

melissarosenz, Apr 6, 3:31am
Definitely pre-cook the chicken and bacon. Can't remember the cooking temps and/or times, but do remember very clearly how fiddly it is! Make sure you butter every layer of pastry.

gillies08, Apr 6, 3:33am
Wonderful thanks. . I think I will just keep a watchfull eye on it cooking

cookessentials, Apr 6, 3:34am
You will need to cook your filling first as filo pastry does not take too long to cook. Your oven should be at around 180C to give you a nice golden flakey pastry.

cookessentials, Apr 6, 3:36am
Here is another recipe idea, however, with this one you use the boneless breasts uncooked.

5 shallots chopped

¾ cup (190ml) mayonnaise

2 medium lemons, juiced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon or oregano

85g butter, melted

12 sheets filo pastry

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 125g each)

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a small bowl, combine the shallots, mayonnaise, lemon juice, ¾ of the garlic and tarragon; set aside. In another small bowl, combine the butter and remaining garlic.
2. Place one sheet of filo pastry on a work surface with a short edge facing you. Brush evenly with butter mixture. Repeat with one more sheet of filo. (Keep the remaining sheets covered with a tea towel or plastic wrap to avoid them drying out).
3. Lightly sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Center one chicken breast on the lower third of filo. Spread about 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise mixture over chicken breast. Fold bottom edge over chicken then fold in sides. Roll up in a parcel; cover with plastic wrap and set aside. Make five more chicken parcels like this.
4. Place the filo parcels in an ungreased baking tin. Brush tops with remaining garlic butter; sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered, at 190 degrees C for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the pastry is browned.

gillies08, Apr 6, 3:41am
Thanks cookessentials I will use what I have for tonight but if I find using the filo okay I will be making that for sure. . Sounds great and I love new dinner ideas! ! !

wizzbikz, Apr 6, 3:54am
Nice one cooky sounds GR8. will do wed nite and suprise herindoors . my week to cook, and shes got some filo leftover

helen59, Apr 6, 3:56am
Don't butter each sheet. Either brush with a very light coating of oil or spray with oil - I do this one as it is obviously much healthier. Keep filo you are not using covered with a damp teatowel. Filo is fun, healthy and yummy!

cookessentials, Jan 10, 11:19am
How did you get on gillies08?