Hi I need a little advice regarding cooking with

andee21, Mar 26, 7:34am
gas, I have a new gas hob and I am struggling to make my beloved vege soup without burning it. Even turning it down to the lowest setting burns it. Any help would be great. thanks Andee.

melford, Mar 26, 8:18am
Have you got a flat stainless steel trivet that you could put in the bottom of the saucepan or perhaps a small saucepan lid upturned (without a knob on it though). That will prevent the bottom burning as the liquid is not sitting directly on the base of the saucepan

olwen, Mar 26, 8:20am
In the olden days (we moved away from the house with gas in 1961) we had an asbestos mat to go under pots, to stop them getting too hot

fifie, Mar 26, 9:07am
As #2 says trivot works fine for me, better still if you have a Slow cooker put it in that.

hotstuff111, Mar 26, 9:10am
sounds like it ya pot i have one that burns every time i have just throwen it out the handals always smelt like they were hot. got some new ones zip brand they are perfect.

skippie1, Mar 26, 9:14am
I have a steel plate which is hollow, I put that on the gas then pot on top of that spreads the heat. Works well.

islandbreeze, Mar 26, 9:14am
crockpot cooking would love to have beautiful beef casserole recipey

ange164, Mar 27, 2:16am

sue1955, Mar 27, 5:36am
ange164 wrote:
http://www.simmermat.com/what-is-simmermat.html[/quote

I remember when these were invented by a man in Christchurch & they sold like hotcakes. Still have mine.

eastie3, Mar 27, 7:48am
I just use a cake cooling rack on top of the element - although I have an electric stove so probably not much help for you,sorry.

nickyd, Mar 27, 8:02am
Use mine almost every day for this reason. Have had it for 8 or 9 years -easy!