What is a good madiera cake recipe and

libra29, Mar 11, 10:25pm
what would be a good icing, I know you can eat it without icing but I need one with icing. Is the madiera cake recipe in the Edmonds cook book a good one! and can it be made into cup cakes!

elliehen, Mar 11, 10:35pm
A butter icing with added lemon juice would suit a Madeira Cake.Sorry, I don't have the answer to your cupcake question.

kiwitrish, Mar 12, 8:07pm
This is a recipe I have posted here before and have lots of good feedback.Makes great cup cakes too.
Lemon Madeira Cake.
As a cake decorator this is the recipe I always use. It comes out lovely and moist and keeps that way for days. Makes 2 medium cakes or 1 large cake. Gave this recipe on here a few weeks ago and baker was delighted how well it turned out.
1 cup milk
125gm butter. Bring these to the boil
In a mixer, beat 4 eggs and gradually adds 2 cups sugar, 1 pkt lemon jelly crystals and 1 tsp vanilla essence. Beat until thick, then add 2 and a 1/4 cups of plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. Mix then quickly stir in the boiled milk and butter. Turn the mixture into two 7 or 8 inch lined tins and bake 180c for 20 minutes. If using a novelty shaped pan bake the whole mixture for 40 minutes at 180c or until skewer comes out clean.

spot20, Mar 12, 8:10pm
Kiwitrishs cake is a winner .even my husband can make this and be proud!very moist and tasty

dbab, Mar 12, 9:57pm
+1
It's really good, and you can change it by using different flavoured jelly crystals.

bev00, Mar 23, 11:56am
Aunt Daisy recipe
4 eggs, their weight in butter, sugar & flour
Grated lemon rind (opt)
Cream butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time & beat well
Add 1/4 flour & mix well. Add egg & flour alternativelt until all is used
Add flavouring & 1/2tps b/powder

Cooking time is @ 180.

This cake takes about 90 mins to bake & is very moist & keeps wonderful

lulu239, Mar 23, 2:40pm
I go for kiwitrish's cake. It's wonderful.

survivorr, Mar 23, 7:48pm
Ditto!

survivorr, Mar 24, 12:10am
Going to make it yet again this weekend.

survivorr, Mar 26, 7:09am
Well I didn't get around to baking Kiwitrish's cake until tonight.Cooked beautifully and tastes wonderful.I put the mixture into two loaf tins one a bit larger than the other and so I put more mixture into that.It rose up really high and I took it carefully out of the oven but it has sunk quite a bit which is a bit disappointing.I think next time I'll bake it in a ring tin and put all the mixture in that.I remember doing that before and from memory it worked well.Having said all that - the cake is delish.As always with this recipe.Going to put lemon icing on it later.

survivorr, Mar 26, 7:09am
Well I didn't get around to baking Kiwitrish's cake until tonight.Cooked beautifully and tastes wonderful.I put the mixture into two loaf tins one a bit larger than the other and so I put more mixture into that.It rose up really high and I took it carefully out of the oven but it has sunk quite a bit which is a bit disappointing.I think next time I'll bake it in a ring tin and put all the mixture in that.I remember doing that before and from memory it worked well.Having said all that - the cake is delish.As always with this recipe.Going to put lemon icing on it later.

Oh.and I've already helped myself to a piece . it's still warm.

koru67, Jun 8, 8:16pm
I made kiwitrish's madeira cake yesterday. I used a round cake tin and some large muffin tins. I think I put too much in the mix in the round tin, it took a long time to cook through, thought it was going to need to be a dessert cake with yoghurt or cream, but it was fine in the end. Nice and yummy. (must invest in better size cake tins).