Sourdough in breadmaker?

janny3, Mar 2, 11:37pm
Thanks Uli.Friend won't have any bread cooked in the bread machine because of the heat released teflon toxins.Now you've cleared up the issue of merely mixing sour dough in the bread maker being just as bad.Thanks for that.

uli, Mar 3, 8:08am
You are welcome janny3.

I was surprised to see this old thread coming up again.

rrrg, Mar 26, 6:44am
Can I make sour dough in a breadmaker!

lilyfield, Mar 26, 7:43pm
do you want to make dough or bake a sourdough bread in it!

lilyfield, Mar 26, 7:57pm

lilyfield, Mar 26, 7:57pm

rrrg, Mar 27, 7:31pm
hmm interesting. I have the starter but want to make the bread (whole process in breadmaker)

dibble35, Mar 27, 7:58pm
I did it once and it worked, I did add a bit of extra yeast though as you dont get the longer raising time you need. It worked, tasted fine

rrrg, Apr 15, 8:48am
bump.any more help!

buzzy110, Apr 16, 4:31am
Time is required to make a genuine sourdough, where the wild yeasts are given time to eat all the gluten and create that distinctive sour taste. That is very different to bread made with the one strain commercial yeast that just raises the dough and nothing else. Check your breadmaker and see if it has a sourdough option.

I'm sorry I cannot be of much more help. Or you could try your library. I stumbled upon two excellent books on making bread in a breadmaker. Can't remember who wrote them now but the guy new 'stuff' and was very helpful when it came to sourdough. There are bound to be others equally as helpful. Your manual may also have some information or a recipe.

rrrg, Apr 16, 4:33am
Thanks - nothing in the manual

carlosjackal, Oct 20, 11:38pm
I have my own sourdough starter/culture and have often made SOURDOUGH CIABATTA bread using this recipe:

Sourdough Ciabatta (Italian Bread) - Bread machine recipe
Recipe Type: Sourdough Bread
Yields: 1 large loaf

Prep time: 15 min
Rise time: 1 to 3 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 4 hour

Ingredients:

1 cup sourdough starter, room temperature
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups bread flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon diastatic malt (optional)
1 teaspoon instant yeast (I use Red Star Instant Active Dry Yeast)
** This bread will end up being a very sticky, wet dough. Do not add any additional flour to the dough.
*** Diastatic malt contains active enzymes which help break starch down into sugar. The extra sugar feeds the yeast in the dough, helping the bread to rise, and also gives the bread a browner crust.

Preparation:

Place all ingredients in bread pan of your bread machine. Select dough setting and press start. When dough cycle has finished, dough will be very soft (between a batter and a runny dough).

Remove dough from pan and place into a oiled large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in at room temperature approximately 1 1/2 hours or until tripled in bulk (dough will be sticky and full of bubbles).

On a baking sheet, place a sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle parchment paper with semolina flour. Turn the risen dough onto a flour dusted work surface. Pat dough (do not punch down) into a rectangle and dust with flour. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Press fingertips into dough in several places to dimple surface. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.

At least 45 minutes before baking, place baking stones on lowest oven rack in oven and set the temperature to 500&degF. Allow the oven to heat for 30 minutes.

Lower oven temperature to 400&degF. Transfer loaf (with parchment paper) to the hot baking stones. Bake 15 minutes or until pale golden. A good check is to use an instant digital thermometer to test your bread. The temperature should be between 200 and 210 degrees.
Remove from oven and place the bread on a wire rack to cool. Let baked loaf cool for 30 minutes before cutting (this is because the bread is still cooking while it is cooling).
Makes 1 large loaf.

carlosjackal, Oct 20, 11:38pm
I have my own sourdough starter/culture and have often made SOURDOUGH CIABATTA bread using this recipe:

Sourdough Ciabatta (Italian Bread) - Bread machine recipe
Recipe Type: Sourdough Bread
Yields: 1 large loaf

Prep time: 15 min
Rise time: 1 to 3 hours
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 4 hour

Ingredients:

1 cup sourdough starter, room temperature
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F.)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups bread flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon diastatic malt (optional)******
1 teaspoon instant yeast (I use Red Star Instant Active Dry Yeast)
** This bread will end up being a very sticky, wet dough. Do not add any additional flour to the dough.
*** Diastatic malt contains active enzymes which help break starch down into sugar. The extra sugar feeds the yeast in the dough, helping the bread to rise, and also gives the bread a browner crust.

Preparation:

Place all ingredients in bread pan of your bread machine. Select dough setting and press start. When dough cycle has finished, dough will be very soft (between a batter and a runny dough).

Remove dough from pan and place into a oiled large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in at room temperature approximately 1 1/2 hours or until tripled in bulk (dough will be sticky and full of bubbles).

On a baking sheet, place a sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle parchment paper with semolina flour. Turn the risen dough onto a flour dusted work surface. Pat dough (do not punch down) into a rectangle and dust with flour. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Press fingertips into dough in several places to dimple surface. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.

At least 45 minutes before baking, place baking stones on lowest oven rack in oven and set the temperature to 500&degF. Allow the oven to heat for 30 minutes.

Lower oven temperature to 400&degF. Transfer loaf (with parchment paper) to the hot baking stones. Bake 15 minutes or until pale golden. A good check is to use an instant digital thermometer to test your bread. The temperature should be between 200 and 210 degrees.
Remove from oven and place the bread on a wire rack to cool. Let baked loaf cool for 30 minutes before cutting (this is because the bread is still cooking while it is cooling).

Makes 1 beautiful large Sourdough Ciabatta loaf

****** Diastatic Malt is very hard to come by, so i omit using it - basically all it does is helps to colour the crust.

carlosjackal, Oct 21, 1:58am
For sure! Just bumping for you - see my post above (#11)

uli, Oct 21, 11:51pm
All breadmaker tins have an anti-stick coating, Teflon or whatever new products there are. All of them cannot stand acid. There is no anti-stick on the market which will stand repeated sourdough attacking it.

When I was in Europe the last time I especially went into several big speciality household shops to find some old fashioned blue steel tins (which they ordered for me), they all recommended their latest coated tins of course and all backed off when I asked them if they would be sourdough proof. Some of the tins had in fact a sticker not to use them with sourdough.

So I guess if you want to make the odd loaf then you won't fall down dead, just as you don't when you overheat your coated frypan when trying to fry a steak at thigh heat.

However I am told the toxins accumulate in your fatty tissue and you could get quite sick many years down the track when you try to lose some weight and all those toxins get released into your bloodstream in a short time.