Ok I have a rolled beef pot roast? How to cook?

jezabell, Mar 26, 2:11am
I have never done a pot roast is it the same as a stew or caserole!
The piece I have looks like Corn Round but it is a Pot Roast so how do I cook this and make it tender and nice please!
If I have the basic idea and timing I can play with flavour then!
Help please.

jezabell, Mar 26, 2:12am
Hope there is some good cooks around as i could cook for tea or is it too late!

cgvl, Mar 26, 2:26am
not too late, and its years since I did a pot roast.
The way I have done it is to brown on stove top then add some beef stock and slowly braise (simmer until cooked).
Alternative is to brown on stove then put into a covered dish with some liquid and slowly bake in oven at low temp.
You can add aromatics to both ie herbs: parsley, thyme, bay leaf and can add onions, celery and carrots as well if you have.

kinna54, Mar 26, 2:36am
I did one last week in the slow cooker. cooked 3-4hrs.*depending on size*
I rubbed the pot roast all over with french onion soup and whole grain mustard, then I put in about a 1/4 cup water, (or enough to just cover the bottom of the slow cooker,) and a bayleaf.
You could do the same in a slow oven, check the Edmonds book forcooking time and temperature.
There are also some good hints on google.

lythande1, Mar 26, 5:37am
Sort of. If you think of it as a large piece of meat and very large cut chunky veges in a scrummy sauce, then it's more or less like a stovetop casserole.

pickles7, Mar 26, 7:15pm
Slow cooker,
Beef Pot Roast , rolled , boneless cuts.

Turn the slow cooker on high, add 2 Tbsp oil.
Heat a fry pan with a little oil
Fry
1 cut up onion
1 chopped carrot,
any other little bits and bobs you have,
stalks of broccoli, cauli, celery etc. maybe 1 cup all up
Put that into the bottom of the slow cooker
Sear the meat all over
Put the meat on top of the veg's
Add 1 cup of water to the frying pan to clean off all the drippings, add to the slow cooker
Sprinkle over
1 packet of soup mix, I use any that need to be used up.
[ a soup mix, this helps with making the gravy ]
Add salt and pepper, remember it is easier to add more, than to take salt out of a dish.
Turn the cooker onto Auto, close the lid and don't open it again until you can smell a delicious smell. lol.
I cannot tell you how long, to cook it, It would depend on the size of the meat, the cut of your meat, your slow cooker, so many variables.
Write down your times etc for future reference.
Cook from 4 to 6 hours. Even more if required
I remove mine when the internal temp is 160deg F, 71deg C.
It will be medium, juicy, tender.

pickles7 (514 )1:11 pm, Sat 23 Apr #117

wasgonna, Mar 27, 12:41am
Frying all the vege first is one of the secrets of a slow cooker. Makes a huge difference to overall taste. I actually stir fry them in a wok as its much easier than trying to turn veges in frying pan.