How To Store Vanilla Pods

willyow, Mar 25, 7:09pm
Asmany people are clueless when it comes to storing andkeeping vanilla pods in good condition(including some people posing as food experts) - here's some advice.

Always store them in asealed container in adark cupboard.Do NOT put them in the fridge as refrigeration dries them out more quickly.

Even stored in asealed container they tend to dry outeventually, and dried out vanilla pods areextremely difficult to use.

To restore themto a nicebendy condition -add a cap or two ofvodka - shake -andput thelid back on the container and leave for 3-4days. ( or put a lot of vodka in and drink i 3-4 days later - vanilla-flavoured vodka -lovely).Vodka (ethyl alcohol) is odourless and flavourless so doesn't impact on the vanilla flavour - in fact itenhances the flavour. (We use ethyl alcohol to make vanilla extract to the AmericanSingle Fold standard).If you don't have vodka -rum or brandy will do the trick without impactingtoo much on the flavour.

I hope that is helpful - you'd be surprised how often people who get nice moist oily bendy vanilla pods, complain years later when they get them out and they have dried out!Well, there is asimple solution - store them properlyand if you keep them a long time - follow the above instructions.

willyow, Mar 25, 7:09pm
Asmany people are clueless when it comes to storing andkeeping vanilla pods in good condition(including some people posing as food experts) - here's some advice.

Always store them in asealed container in adark cupboard.Do NOT put them in the fridge as refrigeration dries them out more quickly.

Even stored in asealed container they tend to dry outeventually, and dried out vanilla pods areextremely difficult to use.

To restore themto a nicebendy condition -add a cap or two ofvodka - shake -andput thelid back on the container and leave for 3-4days. ( or put a lot of vodka in and drink it3-4 days later - vanilla-flavoured vodka -lovely).Vodka (ethyl alcohol) is odourless and flavourless so doesn't impact on the vanilla flavour - in fact itenhances the flavour. (We use ethyl alcohol to make vanilla extract to the AmericanSingle Fold standard).If you don't have vodka -rum or brandy will do the trick without impactingtoo much on the flavour.

I hope that is helpful - you'd be surprised how often people who get nice moist oily bendy vanilla pods, complain years later when they get them out and they have dried out!Well, there is asimple solution - store them properlyand if you keep them a long time - follow the above instructions.

weezil, Mar 25, 8:20pm
would 13.9% vodka be ok to make vanilla essence!

willyow, Mar 25, 9:12pm
Probably if you usejust a little - so long as thecontaIner is airtight - that way the alcohol won't evaporate out. I'm not sure whether th extract will be very strong though - it is the alcohol that extracts the flavour - not water.

cookessentials, Mar 25, 9:28pm
you will be making vanilla extract, not vanilla essence. Vanilla essence is a chemically concocted version to add flavour to your baking as opposed to extract, which is the real deal.

vomo2, Mar 26, 12:05am
Put one in a sugar jar that is used exclusively for baking.

willyow, Mar 26, 5:06am
When you strip the seeds out for whatever you are making - throw the shell in the sugar jar. It contains a lot offlavour. That way -no wastage! That's what we do and our sugar jar is full of them, and the smell thatfloats out ( and into our food)is fabulous!

marcs, Mar 26, 12:42pm
I store mine in vodka anyway and use the vodka as vanilla essence and vanilla pods are soft so use the when need be and returned the used pods back in to vodka.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 24, 10:58pm
Bump - good advice.

autumnwinds, Mar 24, 11:55pm
You can also store some pre-used vanilla pods in your coffee grounds.It mellows down the flavour, and makes a "rough" blend (that you may have bought, not knowing the brand) into a very acceptable cup.

mwood, Mar 25, 1:09am
Alcohol is not a "gas" it is a liquid miscible in water. At 40% ABV it will evaporate at about the same expected rate as water and does not need an airtight container. The higher the ABV the faster and stronger the maceration. Just use this vanilla liquidin place of extracts or essences in your recipes. Under heat the alcohol will evaporate out at about 80 C the vanilla flavour of course remains.

rainrain1, Mar 25, 1:10am
Or buy some more!