Bacon

jorgef, Mar 24, 7:48am
Can anyone tell me, what bacon I can buy, that is NOT smoked or smoked flavoured! I can't seem to find plain salted bacon!, they all seem to be smoked, smoked flavoured or honey cured.Thanks

lurtz, Mar 24, 8:15am
I buy wild pork bacon from Moore Wilsons. It is notbrined (a process that seem to be fashionable with everything from bacon to turkeys ),Being wild I do cook it well though.

jorgef, Mar 24, 9:03am
Thanks, unfortunately we don't have one in Auckland. I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me a supermarket available brand that isn't smoked. The problem is, that so far, even the ones that don't blatantly state "smoked" on the front of the packaging, always say smoked or smoked flavoured in small print at the back!

cgvl, Mar 24, 11:50am
we buy a streaky bacon called Rowntrees at NW for around $8 for 500g.
Was another we sometimes buy thats also streaky bacon but can't remember its name.
Neither appear to be smoked or smoky flavour as I find that rather overpowering at times.
I grill bacon so streaky works fine for me.

jorgef, Mar 24, 11:01pm
Thanks cgvl :) I will try it for sure! I also find the smoked flavour / honey cure overpowering, I just like the taste of plain salted bacon.

pilgrim2, Mar 25, 12:26am
I use the budget middle bacon, family love it. Just tastes like bacon. At pns

jorgef, Mar 30, 7:31am
Thanks pilgrim2, I have just purchased some :) will probably try it this weekend.

jorgef, Apr 2, 7:52am
Had the bacon on Sunday, it was great! :) no smoked or honey flavour. cheers

bvalc, Apr 2, 8:19pm
Try.www.longflatbacon.co.nz.They make UNSMOKED bacon,also Preservative free bacon, and will try to make bacon anyway you want it. They have some sugar free bacon also.if it isn't on the website just ring and ask, Check out their facebook page. They have their own piggery which is a registered piggery.The bacon is all hand cured and smoked (if you want it smoked) in old fashioned brick smoke house. Just yummy,cooks up nice and crispy with no water in the pan.

willyow, Apr 2, 8:45pm
You can buy the Long Flat Bacon at the Orewa farmers market on Sunday mornings- it is really really nice - not smoked and not full of water - cooks beautifully

blueviking, Apr 4, 6:51am
If you google "homemade bacon" there's a simple way to make your own bacon.Buy some belly pork, put it in a self seal bag. add plain salt and a sweetener. Honey is nice or maple syryp, brown sugar or golden syryp.Put it in the fridge(beer fridge in case it leaks) Turn it daily for 7 days. After that, if you like it saltier or not so salty, just adjust the salt content.Slice it as chunky as you want.If it's too salty you can just soak it in some water to leech out excess salt.