Bacon Hocks & Ham Bones - Help

carter441, Mar 2, 9:57am
I am making bacon hock and vegetable soup.I happen to have frozen the bone from the Christmas Ham.Would it be alright to use both the bacon hock and the ham bone in the same soup!Sorry, I realise this is probably a very stupid question!

olwen, Mar 2, 10:10am
Yes, I made Pea and ham soup tonight and added some minced bacon that needed to be used.It was lovely.

carter441, Mar 2, 10:24am
Thank you.With the expected weather you might wish you'd saved it for tomorrow!

winnie231, Mar 2, 10:30am
Why not keep one of the bones for another time!
Of course you could use both bones in one soup but you run the risk of the soup being very salty .
If you have already started then I suggest you check the flavour of the stock (liquid) - if it is strong then freeze half & add water to the rest.
By the time you finish adding veges ++ to the pot you should end up with a great tasting soup.

olwen, Mar 2, 10:55am
I have leftovers!

trade_to_you, Mar 3, 7:38am
Hello Carter, I have done exactly the same thing with a ham bone made ham and potato soup myself, it was nice, except I was told afterward bacon hocks give alot more flavour to soups, so both with be delicious!

rewacowgirl, Mar 4, 3:38am
Worked at a butchers,and they are the same thing-nearly.They are given the same brine treatment,but the bacon is usually then smoked,and the ham is boiled.