I just got given 12 cans of tomatos any ideas

sandranoble2012, Mar 1, 9:34pm
on what i can do with them just couldnt say no lol

darlingmole, Mar 1, 9:37pm
I'd have some with pasta ~ throw in some fresh herbs, onion, garlic, splash of balsamic vinegar . mmm~!and lucky you eh!!

sandranoble2012, Mar 1, 9:39pm
cool thanx i will try that lol yeap am lucky lol

cookessentials, Mar 1, 9:42pm
You can also use them to make tomato soup.

245sam, Mar 1, 9:42pm
sandranoble2012, there are almost endless uses for canned tomatoes. in casseroles/stews, soup, make pasta sauce, make pizza sauce, on toast for breakfast or lunch (add any extras of choice e.g. bacon, onion, capsicum, etc. and thicken the juice with arrowroot or cornflour) - these are just a few ideas but lucky you for being given all those cans which you should be able to make good use of during the winter when fresh tomatoes are either not available or too expensive.:-))

elliehen, Mar 1, 9:52pm
Save them for the dark heart of winter :)

kay141, Mar 2, 12:52am
I have a recipe called Storecupboard Pasta Sauce which I have phoocopied from an English Goodhousekeepingmagazine today. I haven't tried it but will post it any anyone wants it

lilyfield, Mar 2, 1:02am
tins keep for years

sandranoble2012, Mar 2, 1:08am
yes plz

kay141, Mar 2, 1:23am
Storecupboard Pasta Sauce from English goodhousekeeping magazine April 2010. I haven't tried this but have made similar.
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped,
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1tbsp tomato puree
2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
pinch caster sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp marscapone
Handful fresh chopped basil
1/ Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion with the bay leaf for 10 mins until softened. Add the garlic and tomato puree and cook for 1 min.
2/ pour in the tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon. Add the sugar and oregano along with plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 30 mins. Remove the bay leaf.
3/ Stir in the mascapone, then serve with your choice of cooked pasta, garnished with the basil.

This can be double or tripled etc, prepared up to the end of stage 2 and then frozen in meal size portions. I don't always have plum tomatoes amd have made my variation using whatever I have, usually picked up on special. i have also added chopped cooked bacon, ham or salami.

arl5, Mar 2, 1:26am
Empty them in to a large pot and add basil , onion , tarragon an dany desired herbs plue olive oil. bring to slow constant simmer for around 5 mins then belend with stick blender to make soup consistacy. Also this makes lovely topping for piszza bases by thickening with cornflour.

sandranoble2012, Mar 2, 1:41am
thanks alot

kay141, Mar 2, 1:44am
I find a small amount of sugar is essential. gets rid of that acidic tinned flavour.

pheebs1, Mar 2, 2:30am
they are not going to go off so dont be in a hurry to make things you wont eat
youd be suprised how quickly they will go
meatballs, spag bol, lasagne, shep pie, i cook mine down to apuree consistency adding alittle sugar and herbs and then blend and its pizza sauce . which i freeze and oddly enough puree and tomato paste is really expensive but making your own is not!

jbsouthland, Mar 2, 3:05am
we have tins of them in the garage pantry shelves.love them as staples.when a child my mum collected Golden Syrup cans and when she had two layers high in a circle formation ( must have taken ages and helpful friends and family .though one baked and made spongy syrupy pudds back then.late 60s) she made a Poof .or circular foam padded foot rest that we as kids sat on.somehow yopur many cans of tomatoes reminded me of that.so thanks for the memories and enjoy your tomatoes.

dollmakernz, Mar 3, 4:30am
I got this from the board a few months ago and it's absolutely beautiful! It uses 2 tins of tomatoes

"Julies Famous (on trademe!) Curried Sausages
In a large deep frying pan or electric frypan, melt 25 gms butter. Don't let it spread all over the pan. keep in a smallish area. On top of that as it melts, place 1-2 tsps each of ground coriander and ground cumin (or 1-2 tsp curry powder) and 1 tsp of turmeric. Mix the spices into the butter and cook a minute or two till the spice flavour has expanded.
Use kitchen scissors to chop uncooked sausages (I use pork sausages) into about four pieces. Stir through the butter and spice mix.
Add 1-2 chopped onions and 1-2 chopped carrots and stir through also. Cook a few minutes stirring every now and then, till the sausage and onion are starting to brown a little and the mix is sticking to the pan surface.
Add 2 cans of chopped tomatoes and stir through. A wooden spatula is easiest for this - and will help you lift the brownings from the surface of the pan to mix through to give extra flavour.
Add 1 can coconut cream-400gm (I use the lite version) and stir through.
Add a handful of coconut and another of sultanas, and one or two chopped bananas. Maybe some apple.
Simmer all together for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or till the mix is as thick as you want. I don't thicken it as the flavour is better this way.
Season to taste and serve on rice.
Make lots as it tastes great the next day. I'd use about 10-12 sausages for this size mix. up to you how many you add. I also sometimes add several scrubbed and chopped potatoes or kumara to the recipe too, when adding the onions. tastes good too. Some fruit type chutney is nice added too.
It's a great recipe for a pot luck also. Make extra as it's great reheated next day. Hope you like this. it's a real hit here. Enjoy.
posted by juliewn" :-))

wyndra, Mar 4, 2:16am
I just made tomato relish using 12 cans . I lightly drained the tomatoes and then followed the edmonds recipe, you have a lot of tomato juice left over

pickles7, Mar 4, 7:04pm
I threw 24 cans out to the rubbish just last week. On opening one can it tasted like tin, out they all went. They were on special with a use by of another 2 years yet, so I thought they would be good as a stand by, and bought 2 slabs, not so. The cans were looking a bit rusty as well.

elliehen, Mar 4, 7:53pm
Better check the other cans in your Civil Defence Survival kit then, or you'll be going hungry when disaster strikes!

Edited to add:The general advice is to rotate cans, rather than just make a stash for that rainy day.

rarogal, Mar 5, 2:00am
Tinned tomatoes are the basis of a lot of crock pot/slow cooker recipes, so keep for the winter!

elliehen, Mar 5, 2:19am
I must remember this for the end of winter when all my relish will have disappeared :)

pickles7, Mar 5, 7:25am
Not at all right. The cans I threw out were less than a year old and still had two years use by to go.

A wee warning to those who may have bought canned tomatoes this last year on special, it will pay you to check them out. They were imported from Italy, I think we got them for around 60 cents a can.
We have just bought another two slabs and the cans look to be good, not soft like the other lot. Expiry date on these is the 31/12/2013