Best Paleo recipes for kids?

luluweezie, Feb 29, 1:07am
Please share your ideas; my kids are getting bored of savoury mince.

Here's my best, most excellent, truly amazing, kid-tested recipe for Paleo chocolate milk:
- 1 tin coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 banana
Blend 2 minutes, chill. Enjoy!

sarahb5, Feb 29, 1:12am
Chocolate milk with no chocolate flavour!

sarahb5, Feb 29, 1:15am
I'm not really certain what is involved in the Paleo diet so can't help with what you can feed your kids but isn't it basically fish, meats, vegetables, fruit, roots, and nuts!

jacquie05, Feb 29, 1:19am
Kumara, plantains or potato fried in coconut oil, salted - the yummiest chips ever! Small strips of steak or schnitzel - any kind of meat - fried and served with veges or chips (full on steak can be a bit much for them). Chicken drumsticks are surprisingly cheap when they're on special.

buzzy110, Feb 29, 1:19am
Why do you have to keep giving your children savoury mince! Once you realise they actually have teeth in their mouths that can munch their way through 99% of available foods, your horizons will be widened considerably.

jacquie05, Feb 29, 1:20am
Ooh, don't forget chocolate coconut bark for treats (why is it called bark, I wonder!).

luluweezie, Feb 29, 1:43am
Ooops, 1Tbsp + 1 tsp cocoa powder -- that's pretty important! Thanks sarahb.

Buzzy, my kids are still at the preschool/new entrant age, and like most littlies, they're quite fussy eaters. They will (and have done, many times) go to bed hungry rather than eat something they deem "yuck", which includes any meat that's too chewy (roast chicken is the exception), or anything that tastes too much like vegetables. Of course I keep feeding it to them anyway, in the hope that eventually their palates will mature.

In the meantime, I feed them mince. And zucchini "noodles" with bolognaise sauce. Etc.

sarahb5, Feb 29, 2:09am
Eat it or starve was only instigated in our house once they were over 5 because I didn't want them to go to bed hungry and wake up during the night but there are plenty of other uses for mince other than savoury mince - spag bol, nachos, home made burgers, shepherd's pie, meatloaf - and fish is much less chewy than meat.

Mine weren't fussy eaters particularly but everyone is entitled to have likes and dislikes but children need to try something 20 times before being able to make that decision.Not quite sure how you speed up the palate maturity though - mine were all well into primary school before I could say for sure they would eat everything we ate so don't rush them or it may just backfire and they will decide to become vegetarian.

ant_sonja, Feb 29, 2:36am
You could try mincing your own meat, not just beef either but pork, lamb, venison, chicken.that way they get more of a variety (you can also add vegetables to the meat in the mincer ;-)) Different mincer plates are great, you can go from very fine to quite course so if its a texture thing with your little ones, this can be a gentle approach to transition to eventually, whole bits of meat. Struggling with chewyness of say, a steak, is quite common, we made sure we always cooked steaks and other cuts med/rare when our son was little (2 yrs onwards) and sliced into strips for him, served with a hollandaise or Bernaise sauce for dipping the meat & veggies in. Just some ideas :-)

buzzy110, Feb 29, 2:56am
I'm sorry. I didn't realise. I have my young grandson 3 days a week. He is 18 months old. He's been fed every vegetable and protein under the sun, since he was weaned and his mother ate them while pregnant and feeding. He now eats his vegetables, cut into small pieces and likes it all. Every variety of vegetable he will eat. He also is now given some of his protein in the form of tiny chunks that he has to chew. The rest I still lightly mush up with kumara/pumpkin/potato, leafy vegetables and stock.

Yesterday he was treated to a meal of scallop rissotto made with fresh fish head stock and he loved that, scallops, roe and all.

Chinese children are given a lot of stir fried vegetables and meat. Have you tried cutting their veges and meat up into small pieces and stir frying it Chinese style with chicken stock added to finish off the cooking then slightly thickened with cornflour! Mine used to lap that up. Serve with a bit of rice.

When do children become picky. Do they learn that from their friends! A pox on their friends.

luluweezie, Feb 29, 3:39am
If it's from their friends, then I second that sentiment, lol! I've always given them heaps of meat & veg, and until they reached about 2 years they were wonderful about eating absolutely everything; olives, mushrooms, sauerkraut, fish, etc. Then they turned into little fusspots. The only protein they'll currently eat is roast chicken, mince, and eggs. Full stop. I made a lovely shrimp & portabello risotto yesterday, with bone broth -- even chopped the shrimp into little bits. Still a big "No!" though, sigh. More for Mr Lulu & me though, right! Back to Zucchini "noodle" bolognaise tonight, ho hum.

Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate bark! All the ones I've found online so far have something called "coconut concentrate", and I have no idea what that is. We usually make chocolate date balls rolled in coconut, but it's always nice to have a bit of variety, even in our treats.

luluweezie, Feb 29, 3:40am
Great ideas here, thanks! They are big fans of hollandaise sauce, so might give that a go as a dipping sauce.

jacquie05, Feb 29, 3:44am
Yep, I make it.

A block of chocolate - the Lindt or free trade ones are good - a bit of sugar but no nasties.
About 1/2 to 2/3 of a jar of coconut oil - depending on how much you want to dilute the chocolate.

Melt them together in the microwave or in a bowl over a pot of boiling water.

Add whatever takes your fancy. I use shredded coconut for the texture, and a tsp vanilla. You could also add nuts (if it's not for the babies), sultanas, dried fruit or anything else.

I spoon the mixture into mini-muffin cups - it makes heaps. Unlike straight chocolate, I find I can stop eating these after a couple.

vmax2, Feb 29, 3:46am
Stick with it lulu and don't let your kids become fussy.I've a 13 yr old who is driving me crazy."There's nothing to eat in the house" is what he says most often.Really meaning - I don't like this and that and everything else.Not doing paleo with him.There is some bread in the house which he has for lunch.The pain of it is he has health issues which I know would be helped by a different selection of food, but he's so stubborn.I'm just going to have to learn to let it go and let him learn by himself.Sorry for the rant.I think you're doing really well lulu.I would suggest meat patties and meatloaf with mince.Well cooked stew so meat is lovely and tender, cooked with rounds of carrot and any other veg there into.Chicken drumsticks or nibbles is a good standby and of course your lovely beef jerky - or do they find that too chewy.Edited to add, anything you think they might not like - dress it up with a dollop of yoghurt and some grated cheese.Works well for me.

luluweezie, Feb 29, 4:05am
Thanks jacquie05, I just tried it using some chopped salted cashews and a couple handfuls of shredded coconut. I threw in about 1/4C of coconut cream as well, and a blob of butter; hopefully that won't make it too soft (this was before I read your post, so I was just making it up as I went along).

Vmax, thank you for the encouragement. Good luck with your Mr 13 -- I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you to see him making poor nutritional choices. Now that the weather is cooling off a little, I'll be heading back to the crock-pot/slow-cooker soon, so might have more success with "real" meat then.

korbo, Feb 29, 4:31am
what about fritters, with lots of vegsy grated in. you could use, tuna, corn, chopped up leftover meat. the variety is endless. kids love fritters.

luluweezie, Feb 29, 7:17am
I must be making mine wrong then -- I keep trying fritters, with a variety of different veggies, and eggs and a bit of coconut flour and salt, but they never eat them. They end up being great lunches for me, though!

elliehen, Feb 29, 7:49am
It looks as though all your recipes have coconut in them - in one form or another.Maybe your children have developed an aversion to the flavour of coconut.It's not uncommon.

sarahb5, Feb 29, 7:49am
I always found my kids ate more when it was quite boring food - I had one in particular who always liked to see exactly what he was eating so wouldn't eat "mixed" food although would happily tuck into a plateful of raw veges, didn't like anything in a sauce, etc - he didn't even like gravy on his roast dinner until he was a teenage!As much as we'd like to educate their palates earlier kids generally have quite simple tastes.

luluweezie, Feb 29, 8:43am
Thanks for the thought; that could be the case -- I'm not the biggest fan myself either. I'll have a look for fritter recipes without coconut flour (orgrain flour).

prawn_whiskas, Feb 29, 7:29pm
You only really need eggs to hold a fritter together.You could use potato flour, chick pea flour or rice flour (Some paleo/primal are okaying rice now) and you'd really only need a tablespoon per batch at that it just takes the wetness off the egg.I cant stand Coconut flour either, its not the flavor it imparts (because that mostly disappears) its the texture! and your kids sound like they have textural issues with food.

vmax2, Feb 29, 10:16pm
lulu have you tested your kids for allergies!I do muscle testing and it can be quite interesting, 1 day miss 10 can tolerate something, next day she can't.Maybe your kids are intolerant to coconut.My girl isn't great on the oil.I've found that she can tolerate peas every 2nd day, but gets the itches with peas every day.She intuitively knows when she can and can't tolerate something.Maybe your kids are a bit like this too.I just put it down to the gut in the process of healing.

uli, Mar 1, 7:33am
Have "we" got any GOOD paleo recipes for kids!
If yes please post some :)