Making your own yoghurt - revised recipe

dibble35, Feb 28, 10:34pm
Hi, think it was sam 245 and a few others, we were discussing making your own yoghurt in easiyo maker but not using the sachets from supermarket. I gave a recipe
1 1/3 cups milk powder
2 tablespoons live yoghurt (from previous batch) or 2 heaped tablespoons from sachet from supermarket - store rest in fridge till you use it
(1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence for sweetened yoghurt)
Well anyway, made some yesterday using the greek yoghurt sachet - just the 2 tablespoons with the sugar and vanilla and milk powder and it was beautiful, i've now eaten most of it.
much nicer than using live yoghurt,.
Found some cheaper milk powder at supermarket $9.50kg and need I think 150gm for container full so approx $1.40 plus part of a sachet. maybe upto.50c so cheap yoghurt.

lindylambchops1, Feb 28, 10:41pm
I made the above too last week, but I only used 3 heaped T of milk powder & it worked fine.I didn't add sugar or vanilla as it was a fruit Easiyo yogurt I had already made & I just used 2 T of the remaining yogurt from previous batch.

245sam, Feb 28, 11:02pm
Thanks for the update dibble35 - just a thought that you might like to try.for an alternative instead of using the sugar as you did, use the EasiYo Greek 'n Honey + the vanilla.
FYI, I have just come back from the supermarket where I noted that the 'on special' yoghurt sachets were $2.99 and $10.00 for 3 sachets.

Thanks again.:-))

beaker59, Feb 28, 11:10pm
I don't bother with all the milk powder hastle and just use straight milk easy as and really nice, quicker and easier to make than a cup of tea.

pam.delilah, Feb 28, 11:20pm
which supermarket!

lillol, Feb 28, 11:31pm
Do you need a yoghurt maker or do you just do in a bowl by hand (sorry if it's a dumb question)! Oh I've just read the first post properly and it said an Easyo thingy, I guess that answers that question.

245sam, Feb 28, 11:33pm
pam,delilah, I went to both Moorhouse Pak 'n Save and Moorhouse Countdown.I can't recall if any yoghurt sachets were 'on special' at PnS but there were at Countdown.:-))

beaker59, Feb 28, 11:38pm
You don't need a maker heaps of people make it without. All you need is to achieve 35degrees C and hold it there for long enough (6 to 8 hours) peopl wrap in towels and keep in the warmest part of the hot water cupboard or use chilli bins with hot water bottles etc etc. The makers are just more convienient I paid 20 dollars for mine but I believe they turn up often cheap at garage sales Sallies etc.

suzanna, Feb 29, 12:57am
245sam wrote:
Thanks for the update dibble35 - just a thought that you might like to try.for an alternative instead of using the sugar as you did, use the EasiYo Greek 'n Honey + the vanilla.
FYI, I have just come back from the supermarket where I noted that the 'on special' yoghurt sachets were $2.99 and $10.00 for 3 sachets.

Thanks again.:-))[/quote

$2.99 per sachet and 3 for $10! A bit like buying two smaller packets of product is cheaper that the one larger packet.

dibble35, Feb 29, 2:26am
I'll have to try it with less milk powder. Ta

dibble35, Feb 29, 2:29am
245sam wrote:
Yeah I think I paid about $3 for the greek yoghurt sachet i bought, was worth it though, I should get quite a few kgs out of it. your right, I should use the greek n honey one sounds lovely, might even skip the sugar in the next one i make and drizzle in some runny honey. oh yeah, even some jam would be a good flavour

pam.delilah, Feb 29, 4:15am
thank you so very muchly

mieshammie, Feb 29, 5:11am
Probably a silly question but. do you simply make up the Easyo container to 1ltre with water along with the above ingredients!

lindi4, Feb 29, 5:19am
I use 3 Tbls milk powder, 1 small pottle greek yoghurt, 500mls milk. mix together and keepwarm overnight.

dibble35, Feb 29, 5:36am
as above, or 1/2 full with tepid water add1 1/3C milk powderyour yoghurt starter, sweetners/ if you want, shake well, then top up with water and then as you would normally do

mieshammie, Feb 29, 8:02am
Thanks dibble, will try that tonight.cheers.

willyow, Feb 29, 6:54pm
If you want to make vanilla yoghurt it is much better to use vanlla bean ( pod ) rather than an 'essence' for a truw vanillaflavour -strip the seeds out and mix them in, throw the vanilla bean shell in too,and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days - theflavour develops beautifully. Take the vanilla bean shell out - give it a rinse, let it dry off, and toss it into your sugar jar -there's still plenty of flavour in it and itwill flavouryour sugar (no wastage).

uli, Mar 1, 1:03am
The revised recipe could read: milk and yoghurt culture - mix and put into yoghurt maker over night. That way you can use a spoonful of your yoghurt for the next batch.
No need for sugar and vanilla - add that later if you feel like it.

wyndra, Apr 10, 3:59am
I tried making it with plain milkand a pkt of powdered yoghut mix, hansels ithink + 3 tabs of milk pawder, , it didnt set and tasted of milk powder.
What did I do wrong !

dibble35, Apr 10, 5:46am
If you are using the whole hansells/ezy-yo packet mixs then all you need to add is the water, i'm assuming you used the insulated container thingy!
If you want to economise a bit then you dont need to use the whole hansells packet, just add 3 heaped tablespoons of yog mix, 1 1/3 cup milk powder to the container of water, shake well. I like the taste of the milk powder version but its not everyones cup of tea. If you wanted to use proper milk I would just add the 3 tablesppons yog mix to the milk then as per ususal

janny3, Apr 15, 2:50am
Sometimes the UHT milk can be purchased cheaply on special or use-by-date.This makes good yoghurt w/ 3 TB of the Easiyo/Hansels powder, or a cpl of dollops of fresh yoghurt and 3 Tbs milk powder.

===========

You can make yoghurt using fresh milk.Put scalded then cooled fresh milk into your yoghurt maker, add 3 TB yoghurt powder.Using this method, a sachet of yoghurt powder will last for about 4 - 5 litres of yoghurt.

I love Easiyo Greek n Honey.Buy the pack & milk powder.Make the yoghurt with 1/2 yoghurt powder & 1/2 - 3/4 c skim milk powder. Taste is same as normal.

============

If I have a can of evaporated milk on special & milk powder I like to make up the Adele Davis recipe in the Easiyo w/ a cpl of dollops of fresh yoghurt.It's enough mixture for 2 litres so I only add the fresh yoghurt into the easiyo jar immediately before making up & keep the spare milk mix refrigerated.The canned milk is $3.20 at Pak n Save unless on special but makes 2 litres.With the milk powder & fresh yoghurt, the final result is only a little cheaper per litre than using the $3:80 sachets but is a creamier, smoother product.

rosel4, May 6, 1:37pm
Thanks for all of these yoghurt recipes.