Masterchef New Zealand Episode 2 Feb 28

shop-a-holic, Feb 28, 7:13am
Shock horror. Two teams, red and blue and one guy has been given his marching orders already. Wasn't expecting that.

shop-a-holic, Feb 28, 7:37am
Final Challenge: Pretty challenging overall. For it to come down between your knife and onions would be harrowing. Although the remaining contestants were competing for the final spot; it wasnt about taste, texture, seasoning or presentation. gobsmacked.

tigerlilly16, Feb 28, 11:46am
Yes they used this same onion challenge on American Masterchef with Gordan Ramsay, I must say, I'd be stuffed, I can chop onions but not fast, I've never owned a really sharp knife so I'd probably cut myself if I was under pressure too lol

tigerlilly16, Feb 28, 11:53am
Also I thought it was quite unfair that that guy got an instant dismissal over the texture of his gnocci when some others dishes were judged as dismal yet they were allowed to compete in elimination challenge. It came across as though the chef that ordered him off (Simon Gault!) was showing off or throwing his weight around unecessarily.

willyow, Feb 28, 6:30pm
If you can't do a great chicken dish - what the hell would you be doing there!Anyone who claims tobe able to cook has at least one really, really good chicken dish. I do, and I don't reallyclaim to be agreat cook. I was shocked at some of the rubbish some of them dished up.

stefanie, Feb 28, 7:22pm
It was also used as part of a challenge in top chef.
I agree I felt sorry for the guy with the gnocchi, I actually thought it looked rather good. I was surprised that 2 people chose a Thai green curry, that's one thing I do if I can't think of anything else.

elliehen, Feb 28, 9:01pm

davidt4, Feb 28, 9:07pm
But did you see how he was shaping the gnocchi!His dough was so tough and rubbery that he was rolling it between his hands way up in the air, as if it was a pizza base.Good gnocchi dough is so delicate that you pat it into shape very gently and quickly on a bench.

stefanie, Feb 28, 9:14pm
Yes I know he botched the gnocchi, but he probably didn't have time to make new ones and there are nerves involved.
I found it also unecessary for Siman to kick him off straight after tasting the dish whereas other contestants were told at the end. There was no need to humiliate the guy in that manner.

elliehen, Feb 28, 9:20pm
I agree, but unfortunately humiliation is an essential part of Reality TV.along with getting a contestant's hopes up and then spectacularly and dramatically dashing them.

stefanie, Feb 28, 9:36pm
You are quite right, but I would have hoped that the Kiwi version would be
'nicer' in this aspect. It makes me quite glad now that someone called Simon a truck driver in episode one.
My late father was a chef and started training in the early 60's. There was nothing glamorous or artsie about it, in actual fact it was rather embarrassing back then (and there wasn't a gay stigma attached to this profession in Germany). I am surprised how big their (judges) egos are, it must have been the same for them when they started out.unless I am way off about their ages.

mattdylan, Feb 28, 9:42pm
God I think the Junior Masterchefs from Aus turned out better dishes on Monday night lol!

julie55, Feb 28, 10:13pm
If that is the indication of the quality of cooks in this year's batch with a standard chicken dish I wait with interest to see who actually steps up from this mediocre bunch. What a disappointment! Even when I try to be fair and consider the time, the TV cameras, a pantry that they were unfamiliar with and the nerves to deal with, the standard of meals presented to the judges was in my opinion, dismal! I can't wait to see the trainwrecks next week!