Autumn Cake Recipe?

tehenga288, Apr 5, 4:12am
Tasted this on Sat. absolutely delicious. Does anyone have the recipe? Had kumera, lemon, courgette & the usual flour , mixed spice, egg etc in it. Didn't know cook, who was going to give out the recipe but then changed her mind. oh well she might change her mind again.

margyr, Apr 5, 4:50am
just experiment with a carrot cake recipe, use your kumera and courgette instead of carrot, about 1/4 cup lemon juice and zest. did it have an icing? if so what sort?

juliewn, Apr 6, 7:18am
Hi. . For a Birthday cake, on Saturday I made the Motueka Carrot Cake recipe, that Hairchopper posted in another thread, and adapted it to use grated courgette and grated pumpkin to replace the carrot in the recipe.

This is the link to the original thread -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=86&p=2

The recipe is from post 73 - note that further down in post 80 she posted that the recipe takes 2 cups of sugar only - I've taken the extra two cups that were listed out of the recipe copied below...

MOTUEKA GRAIN & GRAPE CARROT CAKE (CAFE now called The Mooring)
2 Cups of wholemeal Flour
2 Cups of sugar
2 tspn of Mixed spice
2 tspn Cinnamon
2 tspn of Baking Soda
1 Cup of Walnuts
1/2 Cup of Pumpkin seeds
1 Cup of Sultanas
1 Cup of chopped up dried Apricots
750gm Grated Carrots (I used half grated raw pumpkin and half grated raw courgette)
1 1/2 Cups oil
4 eggs
2 tspn Vanilla

Mix all the ingredients together except the ones above, (carrots oil eggs vanilla)
add grated carrots, mix well
whisk up 1 1/2 Cups oils with the 4 eggs add the vanilla, then Fold Carefully into the dry ingredients
DO NOT OVER MIX Bake at 170oc for up to 2 hours keep an eye on it, Dont forget to line the tin, makes 1 large cake

Thanks to Hairchopper1.

juliewn, Jan 5, 4:06pm
ps. . you could use grated fresh kumera and courgette to replace the carrot. . and add some lemon rind. . if adding lemon juice, you would need to add a little extra flour to balance the wet and dry ingredients.

Hope this helps. . the cake is delicious and very popular with a large group of people.