Can you use frozen tomatos for sauce?

uli, Feb 5, 3:45am
bump for kirmag

turkey_foot, Feb 21, 3:09am
i have 15 tomato plants going so getting 50 odd tomatos a day every day LOL so have been making lots of tomato sauce and also freezing tomatos but as im running out of jars i was wondering can i just use the frozen tomatos to make sauce later on when i have more jars!thanks

ant_sonja, Feb 21, 3:17am
You can freeze them whole but they get really watery afterwards I have found, still ok but in my opinion it would be best to freeze the ready made sauce/s if you haven't got any more bottling jars right now but have freezer room.

turkey_foot, Feb 21, 3:21am
so what would i freeze it in!

ant_sonja, Feb 21, 3:26am
plastic containers or zip lock freezer bags, can get those in all sizes.

rinny5, Feb 21, 3:30am
I've used frozen tomatos for sauce - no problems!

fifie, Feb 21, 4:08am
i've used frozen tomatoes also for sauce, relish,chutney just make it when you feel like it, If your running out of jars at the mo have you tried roasting halves with garlic,onions,herbs, oil etc then blending it into a thick sauce for pasta,spagheti bol, etc and freezing in ziplock bags.

dezzie, Feb 21, 4:23am
I just freeze it in the 2.5 litre soft drink bottles, then keep it in the fridge after opening and just fill a smaller "squirty" bottle to actually use it.

turkey_foot, Feb 21, 4:39am
no i havent, but thank you! will give this ago tomorrow :)sounds yummy!

turkey_foot, Feb 21, 4:39am
ok thanks :)

turkey_foot, Feb 21, 4:40am
ok thanks !

jag5, Feb 22, 11:48pm
I chop them up into 1/4's and pop into icecream containers, or use plastic bags.bread bags are good.can fit more in if chopped.I then use through the winter for sauce, relish, what ever else.just need to boil longer to evaporate the excess water.not a big deal.

turkey_foot, Feb 23, 12:18am
thanks jag5! i will do this!

turkey_foot, Feb 23, 12:20am
done this today and that helped me use 30 tomatoes! smells delish! thanks heaps! will make some more tomorrow!

turkey_foot, Feb 23, 12:21am
i gota bag of green apples last night and there is approx 60 of them so been busy all morning making stewed apple to make in to an apple pie and freeze.

fifie, Feb 23, 3:02am
Pleased it turned out for you, i love annabel langbeins harvest sauce recipe for this, use it heaps for my easy pasta meal, with hot crusty bread when i can't be bothered cooking lol. Another good one is Tomato Soup, for those surplus tomatoes made in the crockpot, easy peasy.
Tomato Soup
Ripe Tomatoes, 1 onion,2-3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons tomato paste,2-3 beef or veg stock cubes crumbled, 1 tablespoon wine vinegar, few fresh herbs. Good pinch curry powder,3-4 bay leafs.Slice of bread pulled into pieces,( bread thickens it) fresh herbs if you like.
Turn crock/p on high to heat,Skin tomatoes by pouring hot water over them leave for while drain and peel skins off. Fill up crockpot with tomatoes add chopped onion, crushed garlic,salt, bread, sugar,Tomato paste,stock,vinegar,curry powder. Lid on and cook on high 1/2 way through cooking squish down with potato masher. When done remove bay leaves,and puree with blender till creamy, add your freshly chopped herbs, if using, cool and freeze. Soup is nice and thick and tasty.
If you want thin soup re heat and add dash cream, or sour cream, serve sprinkled with parsley.

illusion_, Feb 23, 3:31am
chuck em in the freezer whole in plastic shopping bags. when it comes time to make your sauce you pop the frozen tomatoes into boiling water for 30sec or so and the skins rub off real well. run a small utility knife around the bit where the stalk was at the top to remove then into a bowl or something to thaw . then use as normal. dont worry about any percieved "extra liquid" they have after being frozen. it was in them to start with and sauce making includes reducing down anyway

turkey_foot, Feb 24, 7:30am
thans guys for your help! i have made 6 lots of the sauce above for pasta and just put it into snap lock bags, made another double batch of tomato sauce and put in an empty soft drink bottle and just picked another 102 tomatos today off the plants so will be chopping up and putting into icecream containers tomorrow and will freeze like that!

i cant believe my 15 plants are giving me 50 tomatos a day every day (i didnt pick any yesterday hence how i got 102 today)!