Cream free ice-cream recipe

Page 1 / 2
niffer13, Feb 19, 2:24am
Has anyone got a low fat ice-cream recipe. Our daughter is here for the week with her new ice-cream maker. We have made one lot so far BUT 3 cups of cream. No good for my health. Help please!

harrislucinda, Feb 19, 2:37am
whynot trythatcarnationmilkicecreamthen

niffer13, Feb 19, 2:39am
Does the carnation milk still have recipe on the tin!

r.g.nixon, Feb 19, 2:45am
It's an old myth that butter / salt / meat / eggs are bad for your health.

harrislucinda, Feb 19, 3:04am
notsureasnotgotanyin thecupboardto check

niffer13, Feb 19, 3:29am
I agree that butter / salt / meat / eggs are ok your health I just think 3 cups of cream in 1 1/2 lt of ice cream is a bit too much.

uli, Feb 19, 3:46am
Well whatever - there is no way to have ice "cream" without cream - sure you can concoct something with less cream - but is that really "healthier"!

uli, Feb 19, 3:49am

davidt4, Feb 19, 3:50am
Your daughter could make a sorbet.It would involve a lot of sugar however, so would be much unhealthier than proper ice cream.

niffer13, Feb 19, 5:20am
Maybe I should have said ice-cream with reduced amount of cream. I still think 3 cups per 1 1/2 lt of ice-cream a little excessive for a family to eat every night.

niffer13, Feb 19, 5:22am
However as we also have a grand child with alergies to dairy I thought a cream free ice-cream could be helpful for them as well. He is not allowed a small amount of milk

rednicnz, Feb 19, 7:32am
We just puree up a tin of peaches and chuck it in - use one in syrup and you have a great sorbet.
Or put in a large tub of fruit yoghurt.
Or make your favourite smoothie recipe and put it in.

baalamb, Feb 19, 8:33am
I make a yoghurt smoothie - equal amounts of low-fat yoghurt and low fat milk (about 1 1/2 cups of each from memory) add fruit, vanilla essence (optional) and sugar or artificial sweetener (also optional). Make as per usual instructions in your icecream maker.

willyow, Feb 20, 5:15am
No such thing-'ice cream'is iced 'cream' -anything else is iced 'something else'.I make a lot of ice cream - mainly vanilla bean with vanilla bean and chcolate with premium dutch chocolate - nothing else tastes anywhere near as good! Custard based ice cream is best - less cream/ Always age the custard overnight in the fridge before freezing - called 'aging' - always make sure there;s some glucosein the mix -stops it coming out of the freezer like a brick!

jacquie05, Feb 20, 5:32am
I have a dairy intolerance, so my ice cream has coconut cream instead of cow cream

spr0uts, Feb 20, 8:45am
You can always blend frozen bananas in a food processor to make a tasty dairy-free ice cream substitute. One ingredient - couldn't be much more simple and it tastes pretty delish (though I'm a real cream kind of gal myself).

spr0uts, Feb 20, 8:49am
This looks pretty amazing too. I haven't made it myself yet but am going to one night this week-

http://www.j3nn.net/2012/02/09/dairy-free-pistachio-pudding-gluten-free-no-cook-vegan/

- and no it's not low fat but even the fat phobics will have a hard time arguing avocado isn't amazingly good for you.

uli, Feb 20, 10:38pm
My ice cream has 300ml of cream in it and 4 eggs and 100g of sugar - that almost fills a 2l ice cream container because you whip everything. So that is ok by me - and no I would never eat ice cream EVERY day and especially not AFTER dinner. I would eat it as a treat once a week maybe in summer (mostly more like every 2 months) and not after a meal but as either a lunch replacement or as a snack. Then I can see no health objections.

I am sure you could replace the cream with coconut cream if you have people with dairy allergies in your family. It would be fat enough not to break out into ice crystals when freezing, but would maybe a bit denser as you cannot whip it up as much as dairy cream.

spotswood, Feb 21, 3:21am
Re Willyow.how much glucose to you put in the recipe and where do you get it from!

buzzy110, Feb 21, 3:57am
Lol. You think the cream is bad for your health. But you say nothing about the vast amount of sugar that goes into any icecream recipe, which IS actually 10 times worse for your health.

vmax2, Feb 21, 4:34am
Through cream (and other things) I got my health back.Nothing bad about it at all.

uli, Feb 21, 5:34am
No vast amounts in my recipe buzzy - just 100g for nearly 2 l of ice cream. I can live with that LOL :)

uli, Feb 19, 3:49am

spr0uts, Feb 20, 8:49am
This looks pretty amazing too. I haven't made it myself yet but am going to one night this week-

http://www.j3nn.net/2012/02/09/dairy-free-pistachio-pudding-gluten-free-no-cook-vegan/

- and no it's not low fat but even the fat phobics will have a hard time arguing avocado isn't amazingly good for you.

niffer13, Feb 25, 2:21am
uli]
No vast amounts in my recipe buzzy - just 100g for nearly 2 l of ice cream. I can live with that LOL

So what is your recipe! Please share it with all of us.