Scone recipe with just flour & milk or water pls?

lindylambchops1, Feb 18, 10:49pm
Anyone got this simple recipe please.I read it some where on the MB but now I can't find it.Not sure whether it was SR flour or plain with baking powder or baking soda.Was it milk or water!Thanks would like to make some for lunch with our home made jams.

uli, Feb 18, 10:50pm
When is lunch!

seedy4, Feb 18, 10:50pm
Search for a "Damper" recipe.

uli, Feb 18, 10:53pm
Cookessentials:

Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

uli, Feb 18, 10:54pm
Idiot proof:

4 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
300ml cream
1 can lemon & paeroa (or lemonade)
Mix together. Tip onto floured board, pat out with hands (dipped in flour).
Cut shapes. Place on floured tray.
Cook 15minutes - 220 degrees C

uli, Feb 18, 10:55pm
Date and lemon Scones

150mls milk
150mls cream
1 egg
(Beat these 3 ingredients together)

Mix together 3 cups selfraising flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup chopped dates
Zest of one lemon
Pour milks into dry ingredients and give a good old mix.
Lightly kneed and make a 2" high shape
Use a large round cutter or knife.
Glaze with milk and sugar
Cook on tray with flat side up until golden brown hot oven 10 - 15 minutes. Oven 200

lindylambchops1, Feb 18, 10:59pm
Oh great response, thanks!I don't have cream or fizzy drink, but am sure I saw just flour & baking powder & milk, which was most successful.I know Juliewn did it with dates.Might use that one & add dates or sultanas, but really wanted them plain to go with the home made jam.

daleaway, Feb 18, 11:02pm
SR flour and water makes damper, as does SR flour and milk, especially trim milk.
If you cut the wodge of damper dough into scone shapes, you'll get scones of a sort, that will dry out and harden up pretty fast, as you'd expect with fat-free products.
But if you make them just to be eaten within a couple of hours, they'll be fine.

lindylambchops1, Feb 18, 11:14pm
Awesome thanks!

elliehen, Feb 18, 11:16pm
For a scone to eat hot with butter and home-made jam you can't beat Scottish mashed potato 'griddle' or 'girdle' scones.They do not keep, however.

POTATO SCONES
2 c. mashed potatoes
1 1/2 c. flour (more if necessary)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. butter

Mash potatoes well, beat in butter with fork. Sift dry ingredients and add to mashed potatoes. Turn out on slightly floured board and knead with hands and form into a soft ball. Cut in half, roll out until very thin. Cut in triangles. Bake on hot griddle, both sides.

uli, Feb 19, 12:20am
So did you make any for lunch lindylambchops1 !

lindylambchops1, Feb 19, 12:36am
Thanks Uli I made Cookessential's recipe & threw in a couple of hands full of sultanas.I made my own buttermilk = 1 cup milk + 1 tsp lemon juice.We all enjoyed them with home made jam, apricot, & 2 different types of plum jam.

elliehen, Feb 19, 1:03am
A vote from me for this one too :)

uli, Feb 19, 3:23am
Don't we all like cheap carbs with carbs!

Our wwoofers had milk rice pudding for lunch - they all loved it and really all it was - was cheap carbs: white rice, sugar, lemon and some milk - then topped with sugar and cinnamon - and accompanied with stewed apple, quinces and plums - more carbs with carbs. The only "food" value was the milk .

Myself had liver, eggs and tomatoes :)