Cake of Chocolate

xxsaffyxx, Feb 18, 10:53am
x1
It's a common term for me - but someone want's proof that this refers to actual chocolate (and not a chocolate cake).

Was that a term you're used to using!Thinking it must be a kiwi thing.

Would anybody know of any packaging that would use this term on chocolate!

elliehen, Feb 18, 11:13am
Call it a 'block' and there won't be a problem :)

xxsaffyxx, Feb 18, 11:21am
True. but it's the term "cake" I am trying to prove.

tigerlilly16, Feb 18, 3:16pm
When I think 'cake of.[something]' I think cake of soap, sorry.

tigerlilly16, Feb 18, 3:16pm
When I think 'cake of.[something]' I think cake of soap, sorry.

ETA I just googled cake of chocolate and all it came back with was recipes for chocolate cakes and pictures of chocolate cakes.

horizons_, Feb 18, 3:48pm
x1
To me a cake of choclate is a slab of chocolate, not a chocolate cake. Its 'cake' before the word chocolate that identifies it as chocolate rather than a cake.

gardie, Feb 18, 5:11pm
Just take our word for it lol!Cake of chocolate is a block of chocolate - dd11 often reminds me its not cake!Perhaps a cake of chocolate differentiates it from a bar of chocolate - who knows!

kiwitel, Feb 18, 7:05pm
Sorry to me its a chocolate cake and a block of chocolate .

kiwitel, Feb 18, 7:32pm
forgot to say . and a cake of soap. On google images for"cake of chocolate" you get pics of chocolate cakes and for "block of chocolate" or "bar of chocolate"you get the bars (solid wrapped ones and the ones with many divisions wrapped also). Maybe its just a thing people around you say rather than a common term known.

kiwitel, Feb 18, 7:32pm
forgot to say . and a cake of soap. On google images for"cake of chocolate" you get pics of chocolate cakes and for "block of chocolate" or "bar of chocolate"you get the bars (solid wrapped ones and the ones with many divisions wrapped also). Maybe its just a thing people around you say rather than a commonly known term.

davidt4, Feb 18, 10:01pm
Cake of soap, bar of soap.Block of chocolate, bar of chocolate.

What country does "cake of chocolate" come from!

vintagekitty, Feb 18, 10:06pm
I think it's a English thing, my gran still uses cake of chocolate, cake of soap. Elliehen may know

elliehen, Feb 18, 10:11pm
Have a look at this link to a 1941 document which mentions a 'cake of chocolate' presented to members of the Maori Battalion.It was certainly a reference to a block.I think this is a piece of New Zealand vernacular of past generations, probably recorded by Harry Orsman in his New Zealand Dictionary.

http://www.28maoribattalion.org.nz/memory/te-rau-aroha-the-mobile-canteen

"Mr Charles B. Bennet, the Y.M.C.A. representative who operated the canteen, presented a tin of N.Z. tobacco and a cake of chocolate to all who called on him, irrespective of unit - 'Charlie Y.M.', as Bennet was soon Christened (to differentiate him from Charles M. Bennett who was to become the 5th of the Battalion's ten commanders), seldom ran short of supplies. He later acquired a wireless set, reputedly a 'gift' from the Italians in Lybia. The wireless was to become an extra source of solace for hundreds of lonelv men through hundreds of waiting hours. "

Edited to add: Thanks for your faith in me, vintagekitty.I was busy trying to get an answer as you were posting ;)

elliehen, Feb 18, 10:11pm
Have a look at this link which mentions a 'cake of chocolate' presented to members of the Maori Battalion.It was certainly a reference to a block.I think this is a piece of New Zealand vernacular of past generations, probably recorded by Harry Orsman in his New Zealand Dictionary.

http://www.28maoribattalion.org.nz/memory/te-rau-aroha-the-mobile-canteen

Edited to add: Thanks for your faith in me, vintagekitty.I was busy trying to get an answer as you were posting ;)

daleaway, Feb 18, 10:21pm
Cake of chocolate is what this very mature New Zealand was brought up to call it. Everybody did.
Nothing odd about the expression even to the baby boomer generation.

No use relying on Google - that's programmed by a much younger age group. You need real people who remember, or older real references as elliehen has found.

davidt4, Feb 18, 10:57pm
Google is a search engine, not an encyclopaedia.The ages of the programmers are irrelevant.

daleaway, Feb 18, 11:02pm
I was talking images.

daleaway, Feb 18, 11:02pm
I was talking images. The internet is young in its focus - try searching for the lyrics of eg music hall songs. I know people that can sing snatches ofold songs that have never been put on the web because they are just not in website makers' consciousness. Similarly with oral expressions (like "cake of chocolate" ) that are well remembered by older generations but which have fallen out of favour so are unknown to younger generations.

xxsaffyxx, Feb 19, 5:53am
Hehe. I think you might be right!I was beginning to think it was maybe just the neighbourhood I grew up in.Thanks Ellie for your link, I hadn't seen that one before.Had done some googling, but yes as others say, all I found was nearly all chocolate cakes.Found about two references in Wiki, referring to something at the turn of the century.