Need help making bread using Kenwood

munrotti, Feb 18, 4:04am
I have just started off a focaccia loaf using my new (to me) Kenwood.Have used the dough hook to mix. Now what do I do!how long to leave it to rise and do I knead it again when it is risen! Do i add extra flour when kneading! Would appreciate some help from all of you experts.

juliewn, Feb 18, 4:45am
Hiya. good for you for making your own. and for your fabulous new Kenwood. aren't they amazing machines. :-)

This is a lot of typing, however the work with your bread is quickly done.

After mixing and kneading with the dough hook - until the mix forms a kind-of ball that comes away from the sides of the bowl, and when you press the mix gently with a finger tip, the hollow will bounce up.
If too damp to do that, sprinkle over a little flour - about a dessert-spoon at a time - and knead with the dough hook a bit longer, until the bounce test works.
If too dry, add a small amount of warm water. also about a dessert-spoon at a time, until the finger-tip test works.

Mix well after each addition of water or flour, testing with your finger-tip.

Then, remove the bowl and hook, and turn the dough upside down and put it back in the bowl. Cover with a cloth/tea-towel and leave about 40-50 minutes in a warm place (kitchen bench is usually fine at this time of year, or a hot water cupboard), till it's doubled in size.

Sprinkle flour on a board or flat surface. Use your hand to push the dough down in the bowl to release air. then place the dough on the board.
Sprinkle a little flour over the dough, then knead till you can do the finger-tip test again and the dough bounces back.

To knead - everyone has their own way. essentially you are pulling the side of the dough up, and over, then pushing it down into the centre of the dough - you may find this easier to do with the dough still in the bowl.
Each time you pull the dough up, pull it over and press it down, turn the dough a few cm's, and repeat. turn and repeat. until that finger-tip test works - at this stage, as you push the dough down into the centre, a slight 'whoosh' sound will happen.

Turn dough over, so smooth side is upper.
Press it out (or roll it) till it's the size and shape you want. or cut into pieces and shape (in the same way as kneading above - easiest to do this in your hands). then place on baking paper on an oven tray.
Cover with the cloth, and rise till doubled in size - up to 1 to 1.5 hours.

Preheat oven - usually to 230°C and when it's hot, remove cloth and place tray in the oven.
Bake until the top is golden (time depends on size, thickness, etc. of the bread) and when you tap with a finger-nail or spoon, the bread sounds hollow.

Remove from the oven, slide your bread/buns/rolls onto a cooling rack - then cool.

Shaping suggestions next post.

To achieve a crustier top, cool without a cloth covering the bread.
Softer top, cover with a cloth to cool.
Chewy top - brush the tops with warm water as the bread comes from the oven, and cool uncovered.

juliewn, Feb 18, 4:45am
Hiya. good for you for making your own. and for your fabulous new Kenwood. aren't they amazing machines. :-)

This is a lot of typing, however the work with your bread is quickly done.

After mixing and kneading with the dough hook - until the mix forms a kind-of ball that comes away from the sides of the bowl, and when you press the mix gently with a finger tip, the hollow will bounce up.
If too damp to do that, sprinkle over a little flour - about a dessert-spoon at a time - and knead with the dough hook a bit longer, until the bounce test works.
If too dry, add a small amount of warm water. also about a dessert-spoon at a time, until the finger-tip test works.

Mix well after each addition of water or flour, testing with your finger-tip.

Then, remove the bowl and hook, and turn the dough upside down and put it back in the bowl. Cover with a cloth/tea-towel and leave about 40-50 minutes in a warm place (kitchen bench is usually fine at this time of year, or a hot water cupboard), till it's doubled in size.

Sprinkle flour on a board or flat surface. Use your hand to push the dough down in the bowl to release air. then place the dough on the board.
Sprinkle a little flour over the dough, then knead till you can do the finger-tip test again and the dough bounces back.

To knead - everyone has their own way. essentially you are pulling the side of the dough up, and over, then pushing it down into the centre of the dough - you may find this easier to do with the dough still in the bowl.
Each time you pull the dough up, pull it over and press it down, turn the dough a few cm's, and repeat. turn and repeat. until that finger-tip test works - at this stage, as you push the dough down into the centre, a slight 'whoosh' sound will happen and the top will look smooth.

Turn dough over, so smooth side is upper.
Press it out (or roll it) till it's the size and shape you want. or cut into pieces and shape (in the same way as kneading above - easiest to do this in your hands). then place on baking paper on an oven tray.
Cover with the cloth, and rise till doubled in size - up to 1 to 1.5 hours.

Preheat oven - usually to 230°C and when it's hot, remove cloth and place tray in the oven.
Bake until the top is golden (time depends on size, thickness, etc. of the bread) and when you tap with a finger-nail or spoon, the bread sounds hollow.

Remove from the oven, slide your bread/buns/rolls onto a cooling rack - then cool.

Shaping suggestions next post.

To achieve a crustier top, cool without a cloth covering the bread.
Softer top, cover with a cloth to cool.
Chewy top - brush the tops with warm water as the bread comes from the oven, and cool uncovered.

munrotti, Feb 18, 5:14am
Juliewn, thank you so much for typing out all that advice. The dough I started is looking a bit sad, but will try again tomorrow using al of your advice.

lodgelocum, Feb 18, 5:15am
What does your recipe say! I presume you are using one to make a focaccia loaf, I would just give it a quick knead, shape, rest to rise and cook as directed in your recipe.You will know if you need to add extra flour on your work surface as it would be too sticky to handle.LOL you probably have it cooked by now, and half eaten.

juliewn, Feb 18, 5:42am
You're most welcome. let us know how you get on. and. enjoy your very own foccacia :-)
Cheers. Julie

munrotti, Feb 18, 5:54am
I only had ingredients. My daughter does her mixing and rising in her breadmaker.It is in the oven now. smells good but looks a bit flat.the dough was pretty wet.

munrotti, Feb 18, 6:21am
Surprisingly, it has turned out ok. Hubby and I enjoying some right now.

juliewn, Feb 19, 1:37pm
Glad you enjoyed your bread. it's just the beginning :-) - you'll be making a wealth of bread recipes soon. it's kinda infectious!