Best way to cook pork belly?

phy39, Feb 14, 9:58pm
Is it better in the slow cooker or just roast it!

paula13, Feb 14, 10:13pm
Rub with salt and oil, rest on sage, and put approx 2 cups of white wine in the pan.Cook on approx 200 for 10 minutes, then turn down to 100 for 3 hours.

phy39, Feb 14, 10:16pm
Thanks have looked now what kind of sauce do you make to go with it!

fisher, Feb 15, 12:36am
sage and onion for me.:}

fisher, Feb 15, 12:36am
Rub with salt and oil, rest on sage, and place on rack in roasting dish.
Cook200 for 15 minutes, then turn down to 160

sage and onion sauce .for me.:}

seniorbones, Feb 15, 12:42am
my neice in law boiled it first in chinese spices the put in a slow oven for a few how and it was the best I had ever tasted, the only spice I can remember was star anise, I have two peices in the freezer so might try the Anabelle Langbein recipe it seems to be popular

fisher, Feb 15, 12:44am

cookessentials, Feb 15, 1:08am
I, too use the italian method as done by Annabel Langbein. The only thing I found with it was that the crackling was beautifully crispy until the milk was added. I cooked as per her method, then removed from the milk and popped under the grill to re-crisp the crackling.

twindizzy, Feb 15, 4:13am
Can't beat this, although I use stock in the roasting dish and rub underside of pork with either hoisin sauce or plum sauce.

http://cucinarebecca.blogspot.com/2006/05/slow-roasted-pork-belly.html

richard198, Feb 15, 6:38am
If you like Chinese food you can cook it "Long braised style" with soy sauce and sugar. Have recipe if interested.

whispalea, Feb 15, 8:54pm
That sounds good richard198, would love the recipe if you don't mind! Cheers :)

davidt4, Feb 15, 9:03pm
Pork Belly/Ribs with Star Anise (Cambodia)

1 kg pork belly or ribs (skin off belly)
6 star anise pods
4 cloves garlic
4 tab palm sugar
½ c soy sauce

Cut pork into three pieces, cut diamond pattern in flesh to help absorb marinade.

In mortar crush star anise, pound with garlic until completely broken down.Add sugar and soy sauce.Marinate pork in this at least 90 min.

Roast at 180C or grill until tender, basting periodically. (Spare ribs 15 min, belly 60 min).

davidt4, Feb 15, 9:04pm
Sweet Pork Belly with Black Vinegar

(to serve 3 - 4 with plain steamed bok choy/tatsoi/broccoli and steamed rice)

1 kg piece of pork belly with skin, preferably boneless
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp Shaoxing wine
4 tsp light soy sauce
5 tab peanut oil
2/3 c palm sugar
8 tab Chinkiang vinegar (black vinegar)
8 spring onions
big bunch coriander

Mix together the salt, caster sugar, Shaoxing, soy sauce and 1 tab of the oil.   Slice the pork belly in 3cm slices and marinate in the mixture at least 2 hours or overnight.

Remove pork from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.

In a lidded wok, large saute pan or saucepan heat the rest of the oil over a high heat.   Fry the pork in batches to brown well on all sides.   Be careful as the skin might spit.   Return pork to pan, lower heat, add sugar, vinegar and 750 ml water.  Bring to the boil, cover and simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours until the pork is tender and the skin soft.   Check liquid level occasionally but there should be plenty.

When the pork is tender remove to a warm serving dish, cover and keep warm in a low oven.   Pour the liquid into a jug and leave for 10 min for fat to rise.   Remove fat, return liquid to pan and boil hard to reduce to about 1 1/2c of syrupy sauce.

Slice spring onions thinly and chop coriander roughly.

Pour sauce over pork,  pile spring onions and coriander on top to serve.

willyow, Feb 15, 9:34pm
We have made the Jamie Oliver'sone twice - the second time we added a big teaspoon offive spice - as welove the way the Chinese do it with five spice in the yum cha restaurants - it wasdelicious.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/pork-belly-roast

richard198, Feb 16, 8:04pm
Sorry for the delay!

Soya-Braised Pork - Long Cooked version.

675g pork belly (with or without bone)
300ml stock
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
4 Tbs Soya sauce

Cut the pork through the skin into 2 x 4x 4 cm pieces (approx.)
Bring 1.2 Lt water to boil in flameproof casserole. Blanch pork for 3 min.
Pour away the water. Add the stock, sugar and soya sauce to casserole and bring to the boil. Cover and place casserole in a preheated oven at 200 C. for 15 min. Remove lid and stir. Cover and cook for further 15 min. Stir again. Add liquid if sauce seems too thick. Reduce oven temp. to 180 C. and cook for further 1 1/2 hours.

Variations: 3 -4 slices ginger/ star anise and 4 - 5 Tbs rice wine at second stirring.
Serve with rice and/or vegetables.

Sorry for the delay!

300ml stock
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
4 Tbs Soya sauce

Pour away the water. Add the stock, sugar and soya sauce to casserole and bring to the boil. Cover and place casserole in a preheated oven at 200 C. for 15 min. Remove lid and stir. Cover and cook for further 15 min. Stir again. Add liquid if sauce seems too thick. Reduce oven temp. to 180 C. Cover and cook for further 1 1/2 hours.

Variations: 3 -4 slices ginger/ star anise and 4 - 5 Tbs rice wine at second stirring.

Sorry for the delay!

300ml stock
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
4 Tbs Soya sauce

Pour away the water. Add the stock, sugar and soya sauce to casserole and bring to the boil. Cover and place casserole in a preheated oven at 200 C. for 15 min. Remove lid and stir. Cover and cook for further 15 min. Stir again. Add liquid if sauce seems too thick. Reduce oven temp. to 180 C. Cover and cook for further 1 1/2 hours.

Variations: 3 -4 slices ginger/ 1 - 2 star anise and 4 - 5 Tbs rice wine at second stirring.

kiwigoldie, Feb 16, 9:49pm
THIS ONE!DEVINE
Crispy Pork Belly
Preheat oven to 240c. Pat skin of 1-1.2kg piece pork belly dry and season the flesh side with ground black pepper and 1/2tsp salt. Sprinkle 2-3 sage leaves on the bottom of a baking dish and put the pork on top, skin side up. Season the top with 1/2tsp salt. Roast 20-30 minutes @ 240c, until starting to blister and crackle,watch closely for burning.
Pour 2-2 &1/2 c milk around the meat to come up 1/2- 2/3 of the way up the sides of the pork. Reduce heat to 160c and roast a further 1 &1/2 hours or until the meat is meltingly tender. Check the level of the liquid during cooking and if it has evaporated, add a little more to the pan. Remove the pork from the oven and dish, allow it to cool. Discard the liquids (which break into curds) For easy cutting, place the meat flesh side up on a chopping board and use a heavy , sharp knife to cut into slices 3-4 cm thick. Serve warm.

dreamers, Feb 17, 1:04am
Chilli roast pork belly.
1.5 kg belly,
2tabs olive oil
3 red chillis deserved and fine chop
2 crushed garlic cloves
1tsp smoked paprika
350mls chicken stock
400g jar passata
50mls cider vinegar
85g soft brown sugar
Heat the oven to 240.season the pork and brown in large pan,put onto a plate,pour off all but 1 tab of the fat then fry chilling and garlic till soft,stir in paprika,then add stock,passata,vinegar and the sugar,lower pork in sauce,this can be done a day ahead to this point.Roast till crispy then turn down and cook for another hour or till pork feels tender and the sauce is reduced and sticky.Rest for 10 mins,serve in thick slices with sauce spooned over.

Whenever I serve this I get asked for the recipe as it so yummy.

dreamers, Feb 17, 1:04am
Chilli roast pork belly.
1.5 kg belly,
2tabs olive oil
3 red chillis deseeded and fine chop
2 crushed garlic cloves
1tsp smoked paprika
350mls chicken stock
400g jar passata
50mls cider vinegar
85g soft brown sugar
Heat the oven to 240.season the pork and brown in large pan,put onto a plate,pour off all but 1 tab of the fat then fry chilling and garlic till soft,stir in paprika,then add stock,passata,vinegar and the sugar,lower pork in sauce,this can be done a day ahead to this point.Roast till crispy then turn down and cook for another hour or till pork feels tender and the sauce is reduced and sticky.Rest for 10 mins,serve in thick slices with sauce spooned over.

Whenever I serve this I get asked for the recipe as it so yummy.

scarymonster, Feb 17, 1:09am
Ive cooked Annabel Langbeins one too, its in her 'Free Range Cook' book.Its cooked in milk, in the oven, dead easy!

phy39, Feb 17, 9:03am
Made it from Annabels recipe and it was perfect thanks guys!

snowmoa, Feb 18, 8:09pm
This is the one I use Perfect!