Help with my muffins

rusty-bones, Feb 14, 4:22am
It's taken me a while now to get a recipe I like. But the trouble I am having is they are crumbly. Would anyone know why would that be happening. Also I find when I use Self raising flour it leaves a bitter after taste. Does all self raising flour do this or is it because I use the cheap brands! The recipe did'nt say to add Baking Soda but I did in warm milk, just because a lady I know who makes muffins for a cafe say's this is her trick. But she wont share her recipes.

davidt4, Feb 14, 4:34am
Crumbliness is probably too much flour in proportion to the liquid.

Bitter taste is the baking soda.You can't just add baking soda without balancing it with an acid such as buttermilk, yoghurt, lemon juice, golden syrup.

You might want to find another recipe.If you type "muffin" into the search box at the left hand side there will be lots of recipes.

rusty-bones, Feb 14, 4:38am
But when ever I use self raising flour it leaves that bitter taste. I am really after a basic but decent Savoury recipe. I will search davidt4 thanks.

245sam, Feb 14, 4:54am
Just a thought rusty-bones.maybe the lady who shared her "trick" doesn't use any baking powder or self-raising flour but instead uses plain flour and uses the good old 'back to basics'combo of baking soda AND cream of tartar.If you want to try doing that I advise you to use

instead of 1 cup self-raising flour use 2 tsp cream of tartar and 1 tsp baking soda
or
instead of plain flour + baking powder, for every tsp baking powder use 1 tsp cream of tartar and ½ tsp baking soda.

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Feb 14, 4:54am
Just a thought rusty-bones.maybe the lady who shared her "trick" doesn't use any baking powder or self-raising flour but instead uses plain flour and uses the good old 'back to basics'combo of baking soda AND cream of tartar.If you want to try doing that I advise you to use

instead of 1 cup self-raising flour use 1 cup plain flour + 2 tsp cream of tartar and 1 tsp baking soda
or
instead of plain flour + baking powder, for every tsp baking powder use 1 tsp cream of tartar and ½ tsp baking soda.

Hope that helps.:-))

lurtz, Feb 14, 5:05am
My mother taught me this. It works well with scones too.

rusty-bones, Feb 14, 5:15am
Wow, yeah ok. I will keep trying. Thanks for that.

davidt4, Feb 14, 5:15am
Here is the recipe that I have always found to be well liked.

Bacon & Vege Muffins

24 little/12 med.

4 rashers of bacon (about 120g)
75g butter
2 eggs
1 c. milk/yoghurt/buttermilk
2 c. white flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
pinch cayenne
1 c. grated cheese – feta, gruyere, gouda
4 spring onions chopped
1 c. grated carrot
1 c. grated zucchini
½ c. chopped parsley (or marjoram)

Set oven to 200º C.Grease muffin tins very well.
Fry bacon until crisp, reserve fat, chop finely.
Melt butter and mix with bacon, fat, eggs & milk.Add cheese & veges.
Sift flour, b.p., salt, sugar & cayenne.
Mix all together until only just combined.

Bake 15 min.

Will freeze well.

gardie, Feb 14, 5:39am
I find self raising flour leaves that bitter baking powder taste too.I only use plain flour with a heaped teaspoon of baking powder in it now.Does the same thing with no after taste.

rusty-bones, Feb 14, 6:38am
Definately me too, with anything cooked with it. Some people just don't taste it tho.I'm glad I know that trick from above. ^

rusty-bones, Feb 14, 6:39am
Thanks for that recipe davidt4.