Berry Jam

nsgray, Apr 4, 7:16pm
Hi there. I had a go at making blackberry jam yesterday - blessed with a huge blackberry vine down the road - pick all you want for free. kids loved the blackberry crumble, but I made the leftovers into jam (edmonds recipe) but it didnt' work. I used the strawberry jam recipe, but it didn't thicken. I tried boiling it for a bit longer, but I now have lovely blackberry sauce! ! Any suggestions? I'm going pickin' again soon... tia`

garryb, Apr 4, 8:57pm
Get to the supermarket and buy a packet of pectin. May be hard to find. Follow the instructions on the packet for unset jam, you will have to reboil it but it will set.

deepee5, Apr 4, 9:08pm
Hi, nsgray,
I usually use a raspberry jam recipe. Gently simmer berries till soft. Measure fruit pulp and add 1 cup sugar for 1 cup fruit. Return to the heat and raise heat to ensure a constant boil. Test for setting after about 5 minutes. To do this you put a teaspoon of jam mix onto a saucer, leave for 1 minute then drag a spoon (I use my cleaned finger! ) through. If jam stays to the sides of the drag it is ready to pour into hot, sterilised jars. If not, keep trying every two - three minutes. Sorry I can't give you a definitive time as it depends on many factors. I have done this method for many years and my jam always sets and tastes yummy.

cottagerose, Apr 5, 8:32am
I made blueberry jam (frozen) using jam sugar(supermarket)
and it turned out fine so maybe you could reboil with more blackberries using this sugar.
Lemon juice also sets runny jams well, I have read on this recipe thread

cgvl, Apr 5, 11:43am
x1
If you have acess (sp) to some rhubarb geyt 1 or 2 stalks of it depending on thickness. Chop off the leaf as posionous, trim it up and cut into tiny pieces. Add ½ to 1 stalk of rhubarb to each of your unset jams reboil it at a rapid simmer (rolling boil) for about 10 mins max, test for setting, bottle when its ready. It will not take long to set.
You will not taste or notice the rhubarb at all and do not need to add anything extra. I use 1 stalk rhubarb to 1. 5kg strawberries and they set really quick and really well.

indigojo, Jan 3, 9:10am
x1
you don't need packet pectin or 'jam sugar' (sugar with pectin added), a squeeze or two of lemon juice works just as well...
how are you checking that it is set? place a tsp of jam on a sauce, put in freezer for a minute or two, pull out and run your finger thru the jam, if the jam stays separated then its ready to bottle...