Good old fashioned carrot salad

barlow2, Feb 12, 9:12pm
Back in the day old favorite.
I remember the green peppers and onions being lightlycooked in oil the carrots boiled then putting together with a tomato soup.Has anyone got this actual recipe please!

245sam, Feb 12, 9:45pm
From an earlier thread:

"This is excellent - and you can make the recipe up to two weeks ahead of time - store in a jar with a lid in your fridge.:

Marinated Carrot Salad:

Peel and slice a kilo of carrots into rings or sticks.
Steam or boil till just tender and drain well.

While they are cooking, finely slice 2 medium sized, or one large, onion.

Place in a bowl: 3/4 cup white vinegar - or white wine vinegar, or spiced vinegar.
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 cup of salad oil (I use canola)
1 small tin (about 450gms) of tomato soup (not sauce, puree or pulp)
1 cup sugar
Beat these together well until the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients have blended well.
Taste and season to your taste.

Place the carrots and sliced onions in layers into large jars and pour the dressing over.

Cover and store in your fridge. This keeps up to 2 weeks - and if the carrots are all used during this time, cook more to add to the dressing.

This recipe gives 2 well filled Agee preserving jars.

You can double or triple, etc. the recipe if needed.

It tastes delicious - and is great to have in the fridge over summer, for adding to meals and bbq's on hot days when the last thing you want to do is cook!

Quotejuliewn (2042 )9:24 pm, Sat 12 Mar #11":-))

245sam, Feb 12, 9:55pm
and another similar recipe but using packeted tomato soup mix.

Alison Holst's COOKED CARROT SALAD
"Cooked carrots, cooled in a well flavoured tomato dressing, make a good addition to a salad table.Add leeks, green pepper or celery 2 minutes before carrots are cooked, for contrasting colours, textures and flavours."

400g-500g carrots
1 x 45g packet tomato soup (e.g. Maggi)
1 cup water
½ cup wine vinegar
¼-½ cup sugar
¼-½ cup oil ( I found that ¼ cup was sufficient)

Scrub or thinly peel the carrots and slice them crossways so they are about 5mm thick.Cover and cook without seasonings in a small amount of water until barely tender, adding small amounts of other vegetables (as above), if desired.Drain off any remaining water.
While the carrots cook, simmer the soup and water for 3 minutes.Add the vinegar, oil and half of the sugar and simmer for 2 minutes longer. Taste and add extra sugar if necessary.
Pour half of this dressing over the hot drained carrots.Cover and leave in the dressing to cool.
Stir just before serving, adding herbs to garnish if desired.
Serves 4.:-))

bev00, Feb 12, 10:07am
An oldie but a goodie

margyr, Feb 12, 5:24pm
Golden Penny Salad, GOLDEN PENNY SALAD
1 bag carrots, cooked, drained, sliced & cooled
1 green bell pepper
2 or 3 onions

Place in layers carrots, green pepper and onions until all are used.

SAUCE:

1 can tomato soup
3/4 c. vinegar
1/2 c.oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. mustard (prepared mustard)
Salt to taste

rarogal, Feb 13, 8:41pm
It is an oldie, but I still make it! I gave it to a relative overseas, but her family didn't like it cold, but loved it warm, there ya go!