Just made some tomato sauce.but its still quite

turkey_foot, Feb 12, 2:14am
runny.will it thicken up as it cools down or what have i done wrong!

teddy147, Feb 12, 2:32am
i made some last year and used a small amount of plain flour to thicken it up while it was hot.

turkey_foot, Feb 12, 2:37am
ok thanks :)

fifie, Feb 12, 2:42am
Did you boil it long enough!just made some boiled toms to pulp, then used blender,added sugar spices etc, boiled it about 1/2 hour till it was starting to thicken, it has thickened a bit more as it cooled. Yours should thicken upwhen it gets cold.

uli, Feb 12, 2:43am
Depends on the tomatoes - you need to use some paste tomatoes which have hardly any seeds and are very dry.

If you use "normal" tomatoes with a thin wall and lots of watery seedy interior then the sauce will be very watery and you will have to boil it for a few hours to get rid of the extra water content.

You can use flour or starch to thicken, but I am not sure how well that would keep. Or if it would start to ferment after a few months.

Also depends if you do a proper water bath bottling method which would make sure it is sterile and will keep for 5 to 10 years - or if you simply fill it hot into jars and hope it will be ok.

greerg, Feb 12, 3:12am
It will thicken at least to some extent. My piccalilli recipeis thicken with cornflour and it keeps perfectly well after been boiled with the pickle for only a couple of minutes.I'd be inclined to wait until it has cooled and assess it. If it is still too thin I'd reboil it.

lythande1, Feb 12, 4:10am
Freeze the tomatoes. The thaw them and drain off the water. Then make your stuff. Works every time.

makespacenow, Feb 12, 4:58am
Cook it for bit longer do not add flour if you gone into trouble if making it you might as well do it properly

turkey_foot, Feb 12, 5:48am
i didnt end up adding flour as i asked in the parenting forum aswell - i just cooked it for longer and it seemed to go a bit thicker - i have since let it cool right down and its now a lot thicker then before. thanks heaps