Tomato relish or chutney recipe wanted

lililambchops, Feb 12, 12:17am
I have lots of heritage tomatoes all ripening together and want to make some chutney with them. Does anyone have a nice recipe they could share with me, thanks.

darlingmole, Feb 12, 1:27am
20 large(ish) skinned tomatoes, 3 onions, 1/4 C salt - cover and leave for several hours or overnight.Next day drain off ALL liquid.

Add 500 g brown sugar, white vinegar (JUST enough to cover tomato mixture) simmer for 1 hr or so, stir often.

2 T flour, 2 t mustard (your choice), 2 t curry powder, 1 t cinnamon - use this with just enough white vinegar to make a paste, add to above mixture until thickend to preferred consistency.Makes 6 (500gram) jars.Leave for 2 months if you can! to allow flavours to develop.

No idea why my recipe calls for white rather than malt vinegar because both work just fine.My family loves this one over my Spicey relish (which I LOVE), if you'd like this I can try and post later on

korbo, Feb 12, 1:41am
i would suggest 2-3 cups vinegar, as different size pots and tomatoes.

lililambchops, Feb 12, 1:52am
Oh I would love the spicy one if you have time to post it later, thanks.

mazzy1, Feb 12, 3:00am
Digby Law's Apple and Tomato Chutney is fabulous! I just opened a jar I made 18 months ago and it's amazing.

lynan, Feb 12, 3:32am
lol.I was just gonna suggest Digby Laws recipes! You got it mazzy1, that man was a genius. His Peach Chutney is to die for also. :)

lynan, Feb 12, 3:36am
Just had a look for Digby's Pickle and Chutney book but cant see it.probably at work but this recipe is tagged with his name.
http://grassrootrecipes.blogspot.co.nz/2011/05/recipe-55-tomato-relish.html

ETA: IMO every household should have ALL his cookbooks.lol.most are often available here on trademe.

darlingmole, Feb 12, 3:44am
The spicey relish - as requested .

1.5 kg (ish) tomatoes, skinned
2 or 3 fresh chili
500 g onions
2 C sugar
2 & 1/2 C malt vinegar
1 & 1/2 T flour
2 or 3 T curry
1 T mustard (your choice, whole seed is great)
1 T salt

Cook gently until thick.Bottle inand seal in HOT jars - to do this place jars and lids in oven 150 deg C for at least 15 mins.
This is my fav, very flavourful indeed - love it!

greg.n.michelle, Feb 12, 7:35am
Last week I make rhubarb chutney and its great easy to make and tasty! its a digby one as well