Buttercream icing and fondant help :)

k.b.moss, Feb 11, 5:40am
i recently made a cake iced with buttercream icing, and the decorations with fondant. i've been told not to put fondant in the fridge. but i put the buttercream iced cake in there. because of not being able to put both in the fridge, i had to decorate in the morning and the cake didn't work. please help

sikofstuf, Feb 11, 8:51pm
ok, I wouldnt keep my cakes in the fridge- it does something to the protein in the flour, and hardens the cake. Buttercream is alright left out if you keep it really cool and dark. Pop in fridge 10 mins before you want to fondant it, to make it easier to deocorate. Your fondant shouldnt be in the fridge no- but there is a few options- if it's only little decorations, I've found mine are ok over night, or go with a new product here called "satin ice" it doesnt sweat in the fridge :-)

gardie, Feb 11, 9:23pm
You could use ganache instead of buttercream - this is what I do and there are no concerns re spoilage.

k.b.moss, Feb 12, 2:12am
thanks i'll try that. I got told to keep buttercream in the fridge otherwise it melts

loulou104, Feb 12, 10:26pm
I made a similar cake recently and used buttercream and then fondant on top. I made it all the night before i needed it and just wrapped it in a few layers of clingfilm and left it on the side. It was absolutely fine the next day.

k.b.moss, Feb 13, 7:17am
Thanks Loulou104. i was worried i'd wreak the buttercream. i'll try that next time ;)

eternity04, Feb 13, 7:46pm
Buttercream Icing
I always use this recipe when I ice my cakes, our house is very warm and I have never had any problems with it. Dont put your cake into the fridge overnight as it goes hard.

1/2 c butter, 1/2 c chefade, softened (mix together until they look white)
4 c sifted icing sugar, 2 to 3 tbls of milk. Slowly add in the icing sugar and mix well in between. Add milk one tablespoon at a time, you want the mix to be like very thick whipped cream.
This buttercream will not melt and it will harden on sitting. You can not taste the chefade and it doesnt taste or feel fatty at all. It can be coloured any colour you want. Dont put your fondant decorations onto wet buttercream as it can melt, leave it to dry for a couple of hours first or over night if possible before decorating.