Home-made beef stock recipe need please

darlingmole, Feb 10, 12:51am
have bought a 10kg sack of onions ($5.99) and want to make french onion soup.It requires beef stock so have just bought a bag of beef bones ($2.99) but want to know if it's the usual bay leaves, carrot, onion type thing to make the stock!Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

davidt4, Feb 10, 1:23am
You're on the right track.You need to allow enough time for the stock to simmer for at least 6 hours, 8 is better, so I suggest that you get it started in the evening and leave it to simmer overnight.

Roast the bones in a hot oven for about 30 minutes until browned.Put them in a big stock pot with 2 carrots, 2 onions, celery if you have some, 1 tab peppercorns and 2 bay leaves.Cover with water by a few cm.Slowly bring to a simmer and every 5 minutes skim off any scum that has emerged.After about 30 min turn the heat down so that the stock barely moves, with just the occasional bubble.Leave it 8 hours at this heat.

Next morning strain the stock through a colander, then pass it through a fine sieve or a muslin cloth.

You won't need to clarify it for onion soup, but let me know if you want to know how to do this (for consomme or meat glaze).

darlingmole, Feb 10, 1:25am
wow - thanks davidt4, I appreciate you advice.Loks like I'm going to busy tonight in the kitchen (and in this heat!)