Jam making help, have got 12 cups of pulp,

coonman, Feb 8, 1:36am
have put in 8 cups of sugar, should I need any more! I read somewhere 1cup pulp to 1cup sugar but that seems heaps.

And best way to steralise jars (they are clean)! In the oven! what temp and do they need to be wet!

Thanks.

raewyn64, Feb 8, 2:23am
I wash my jars in hot soapy water, then rinse, then I put them in the oven at 100 degrees. I think I have read they should be the same temperature as the product you are going to put in them - I have on occassion had the jars hotter than the that and I have cracked them when putting the stewed fruit in them.The jars will therefore be dry when you bring them out of the oven but I put them in the oven wet. I also have a pot on the stove with boiling water and keep any lids, spoons etc in that to keep them sterilised until I need them. And then use a wooden chopping board to put the jars on when you are filling them - the benchtop direct can make them crack to I believe.

malcovy, Feb 8, 4:11am
I normally do have same amount of fruit to sugar but some fruits you add water.What is the fruit you are using!

makespacenow, Feb 8, 5:18am
sugar amount - depends how sugary you want it.I use 350g of sugar max per 1kg of fruit, often less or no sugar (and use home made pectin liquid or pectin powder)
100C half an hour in the oven for the jars.

moviebug, Feb 8, 5:27am
What type of fruit pulp!

moviebug, Feb 8, 5:33am
I wash and rinse jars, then put into the oven upside down. I have a gas oven so I turn it on after I have placed the jars in it. Glass needs to heat up gradually, otherwise sudden or sudden extreme heat from cold, it will shatter it. I keep the temperature at about 150, for about twenty minutes.

punkinthefirst, Feb 8, 12:07pm
Test your pulp for pectin. Take 1 tsp of the strained pulp, and put in a glass. Add 3 tsps methylated spirits, and stir gently with a tablespoon. The mixture should form a clot. If the clot is a single, fairly solid, jelly-like dot, the pulp is high in pectin. If several small clots form, the pulp is medium in pectin content. If pectin test fails to form any clots, or there is a mass of tiny clots, then it is low in pectin.
High pectin pulp will make a good set in a short time by boiling it with one cup of sugar for each cup of pulp.
For Medium pectin pulp, use 3/4 cup sugar for each cup of pulp, and boil until the jam sets when tested.
Low pectin pulp will need about 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice for each kilogram of fruit used. This will bring the pectin level up a bit, so retest the pectin levels and proceed according to the results.

beaker59, Feb 8, 9:25pm
Useful info punkinfirst saving that.

Where can I get pectin powder! What brands etc!

I also use as little sugar as possible which for my plums means quite runny jam I do like it that way but would prefer a bit more set.

makespacenow, Feb 8, 11:48pm
use pectin.you can make your own liquid from apples or get pectin powder. there are few kinds just check it is the one for low sugar/no sugar recipes. using pectin will achieve nice firm jelly like jam after just couple of minutes of cooking so you will retain that fresh fruit taste

jan.w1, Feb 9, 5:18am
A good pectin to use is "KINGS"originaljam setting mix.

makespacenow, Feb 9, 6:27am
Gelfix . They do them in different ratios depending how much sugar you want to use, or buy in bulk make sure it is amidated.low sugar pectin

annie.nz, Feb 9, 7:15pm
I've found that if I reduce the ratio of sugar to pulp much below 1:1, the jam goes mouldy after 2-3 months.If I want less sugar than pulp, I generally freeze the pulp in small lots, make jam when I need it and keep the bottles in the fridge.

makespacenow, Feb 9, 7:19pm
it will not go mouldy if you ude pectin / lemon juice/citric acid and make sure your jars are properly sterilised and sealed I think you have one of these issues as jam/fruit spreads are ok without any sugar.got here one jar of jam 4 years old no sugar and it looks fab