What fish do you prefer.

Page 1 / 2
texastwo, Feb 6, 10:49pm
Forgetting about the high priced exotics, what fish do you prefer to buy if its available!I know some areas have their favourites so I am really talking about the Wellington area. Personally I preferButterfish which I like to pan-fry.

wheelz, Feb 6, 11:42pm
1st Salmon 2nd tarahiki (sp) 3rd Lemon fish

ant_sonja, Feb 6, 11:43pm
1, John Dory - 2, Trevally - 3, Snapper

1middleearth3, Feb 6, 11:59pm
salmon and blue cod

earthangel4, Feb 7, 1:05am
Blue cod

fisher, Feb 7, 2:15am
1 /.Terakihi / Gurnard2./. John Dory3 /. Blue cod/ Flounder
4 /. Snapper/ Kingfish slabs on BBQ.6/. Salmon/Tuna
and then its all different for smoked fish :}
And because I can catch most in my home ground right here out in the bay.

davidt4, Feb 7, 2:29am
If there were no sustainability aspects I would choose blue fin tuna, snapper, blue cod, orange roughy and trevally.However I do try to have regard for sustainability, so what I actually buy is more like blue cod, trevally (especially for smoking), butterfish and gurnard.I recently learned that arrow squid is endangered so now that's off the list too.

beaker59, Feb 7, 3:02am
I do like a bit of really fresh Gurnard That would be a favourite :)

Otherwise depends on what I catch which is usually Snapper. I also like kahawai as raw fish or smoked and it will do as a fillet if properly looked after. The only one I'm not that keen on is Blue cod it just smells wrong my wife won't stay in the house if I am cooking some mind you she is a Chatham Islander so must have been exposed to a fair bit of it as a youngster.

angie117, Feb 7, 10:47pm
Mmm fresh fish, I like snapper, gurnard and blue cod.

gilligee, Feb 7, 10:56pm
Akaroa cod always unless we have blue cod/salmon/gurnard for a change.

susieq9, Feb 7, 11:02pm
Groper, gurnard, terakihi.For smoking, mackerel, kawhai then kingfish. Lucky you fisher. Haven't been able to get out much. Sea too rough on the weekends.

purplegoanna, Feb 7, 11:34pm
gurnard for me snapper for mrpg, i do like snapper BUT only if theyre small, i dont like the big big ones mrpg trys to aim for, i find them strong tasting and the flesh different to the smaller pan sized (legal) ones.

lindylambchops1, Feb 7, 11:53pm
<o((((((((><

<o((((((><

<o((((((><

dibble35, Feb 8, 1:18am
smoked salmon :-)love the stuff. Had snapper for tea last night, freshly caught, was nice but I cant understand why the prices are so high in the supermarket, up here (Northland) its hard to catch anything but snapper.
Caught some blue MauMau and snapper few weeks ago, mate smoked it and the Mau Mau was far nicer - just my personal opinion

valentino, Feb 8, 5:15am
Fisher or anyone else, have one ever caught those blackish Ray's Bream I think it is.

My son use to work for a company in Auckland and when he visited some of the Commercial Fishermen, they would give him something like above noting that these are normally thrown back into the seas.

The flesh is lovely, very nice but has a black coloured skin.

cheers.

tommydog, Feb 8, 5:47am
Monkfish its beautiful the only fish I eat these days.In fact I am making FishCakes for dinner tonight.

rainrain1, Feb 8, 5:58am
Salmon, groper, blue cod, flounder, sole, jock stewart and brill is nice too

lodgelocum, Feb 8, 6:29am
Tarakihi, Snapper, Gurnard, and alot of shellfish, oysters, mussels, prawns, scallops, oh dear, I need seafood now.

littleblackhen, Feb 8, 9:57am
blue cod,bluenose,tuna,southern blue whiteting

yjeva, Feb 8, 10:02am
Red cod

seniorbones, Feb 8, 8:36pm
blue or red cod is yummy but I also like snapper and tarakihi, had this last night at a restaurant up here in Kapiti and it was delish. I see your in LHT texastwo, johns fish shop in petone on the foreshore tries to have one fish a week for under $10 per kilo so people can afford to have fish. They are so lovely there if we are down on weekends I try to shop there but lately husbands been fishing so we have nice snapper. Oh and I like LIng too for currys/thai its a lovely white firm fish and holds its shape. yum yum

seniorbones, Feb 8, 8:39pm
we have just been to pauanui and the boys caught blue mau mau, they smoked it in brown sugar and something else and it was delish. Also try to get some lime salt from cookessentials its just beautiful on fish as well as everything else. if its not listed ask her and she will let you know if she has it or can get it.

beaker59, Feb 8, 9:11pm
Blue Mau mau are really good eating surprising how big a fillet you get off a small fish too. My wife has a thing about purple food she liked the idea they were purple fish (they go that colour when they die) not sure about the sustainability aspect on those though must find out.

fisher, Feb 8, 10:22pm
Now name them.:}}}

tigra, Feb 8, 10:27pm
Kawhai . I can remember the days when it was always thrown back