Nice Crispy Potato Rosti Recipe needed

Page 1 / 2
mumstu, Feb 6, 6:16am
Having a good friend of my son and husband to dinner tomorrow night.They want to cook the beautiful salmon my son caught and for me to make potato rosti.I have had trouble with them before as they never seem very crispy. Have tried squeezing as much moisture out of the potatoes as I can etc. Do you have a nice recipe for me to make! It would be much appreciated.

fisher, Feb 6, 6:36am
Potato Roshti.
Place dried grated "threads" of potato into bowl with pepper and saltAdd little melted butter to coat all potatoes. Olive oil in HOT frypan and layer potato thinly,,,
Cover the base and add small cubes of butter on 4 sides. (NOT on top of potato) lift potatoes to let melted butter underneath and when nicely browned turn over then add add 4 more knobs of butter for the same process.
Add little more salt and pepperCan add a little grated onion or herbs like cumin, coriander, ginger to the potato mix as a variation of flavour.

rainrain1, Feb 6, 6:41am
Try cooking in half oil and half butter

fisher, Feb 6, 10:11am
did you not read what I posted!above

knowsley, Feb 6, 6:01pm
The Rosti served at the Martinborough Fair (and they always have a huge queue for them) are made with potatoes that are boiled first, cooled then cooked.

rainrain1, Feb 6, 6:18pm
No I didn't read your answer at all, so do I have to go stand in the corner !

mumstu, Feb 6, 8:21pm
Thanks people, oops sorry to cause problems in the ranks :o). I will give the oil/butter mix a go, sounds like a great idea.

mwood, Feb 6, 10:53pm
Will that be the oil and 4 knobs or the 50/50 one !

uli, Feb 6, 11:01pm
Yep - works.
But not Roesti!

Edited to add that no-one on a fair would have the time to fry up raw potatoes - takes far too much time.

jaybee2003, Feb 7, 1:06am
To squeeze out the moisture, do you wrap the grated potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze! That gets the potato well dry, giving nice crisp rosti.

vintagekitty, Feb 7, 1:24am
They microwave it first, then finish off in the pan.

uli, Feb 7, 2:15am
Yeah - so it is cooked spuds roasted - not roesti.
But nobody here in NZ would know aye! :)

jbsouthland, Feb 7, 2:52am
all sounds yummy.off to try this.!

rainrain1, Feb 7, 3:02am
Raw grated potato, just squeeze it out with your hands a bit a a time

gerry64, Feb 7, 4:16am
what are the best spuds to use!

rainrain1, Feb 7, 4:46am
A floury spud is best, I know because Alison Holst says so

casey1232, Feb 7, 5:03am
If you are going to use raw potato u have to wash it first to remove the starch. Trust me iv made 1000s of the things

casey1232, Feb 7, 5:05am
Or boil the spuds so they are only half cooked, grate then form back into shape, and deepfry is best or shalow fry in oil and butter. Season them also. No need to wash these 1s ans the starch acts a binding agent.

rainrain1, Feb 7, 5:05am
Yes likewise with homemade potato chips

casey1232, Feb 7, 5:06am
Thats wash the raw 1 after you have grated it, then squeeze the water out in teatowel

uli, Feb 7, 5:47am
OK to settle this - here is an original Swiss Rösti recipe.

And because even Switzerland (which people think of as a small country) has its unique different traditions from different areas - there is also a Rösti recipe with cooked potatoes - so here you go - from the old Restaurant Anker in Bern:

http://www.roesti.ch/en/roestirezepte.html

Enjoy!

mumstu, Feb 7, 5:57am
I did the oil and 4 bits of butter method.sooooo yum!

fisher, Feb 7, 7:35am
your welcome. but you can give thanks to Gordon Ramsay. its his method from his tv show.:}]

your welcome. but you can give thanks to Gordon Ramsay. its his method from his tv show.:}]now try it grating some onion over the first cooking.

your welcome. but you can give thanks to Gordon Ramsay. its his method from his tv show.:}]now try it grating some onion over the first cooking.even MORE soooo yum. lol