Anyone cooked potatoes in the crockpot

duckmoon, Feb 6, 1:51am
Another "I am having twenty for dinner on Friday" question.

Can I do new potatoes in the crockpot. If so, for how long!

The quantity will be enough spuds to serve twenty(including a group of twenty two year old males)

arabelle, Feb 6, 2:17am
I saw a recipe for baked spuds in a slow cooker. so cant see why not. how were you going toserve them. just as boiledor sumfink fancy!
Thinkyou need to fire up the copper if the partee has 22yr old males in it that equals cooking for 30.
hope someone with experience comes and answers your question

duckmoon, Feb 6, 2:21am
It is my hubby's work do. His department includes some new grads, who are new to the company, so it isn't a "pig out fest". They are still in the mod of being polite. so, I don't feel the need to cook for Africa. And some of them are petite women who eat less than a sparrow. So it balances.

a few years ago, I did have one of the partners of one of new women who sat on a bar stool at the kitchen bench and was eating food off a platter that i hadn't even finished plating, let alone put on the table.

It annoyed me enough to ask him to wait until the food reach the table (I was plating the four 'course' of self-serve foodso it wasn't as if he had any
reasons to be starving)

piglet36, Feb 6, 3:28am
i alsways do baked potatoes in crockpot, i just prick them, cover in foil (you can put olive oil and rocksalt or hers on skins before you wrap if you want) then pile them in. Turn em round after 4 hours so those nearest the heat get turned. You kow when theyare done as knife goes in great.
I often throw them in before wrk and then we havethem with dinner/

uli, Feb 6, 4:24am
I never do potatoes in the crockpot as they do not get a nice crust. I bake them in the oven and if I then need to keep them warm - because we have lots of people arriving at different times to eat - then I put them into the pre-warmed crockpot and they keep nicely for 2 to 3 hours.

fisher, Feb 6, 4:29am
duckmoon. I would use all the small new spuds or cut the othersinto quarters. scrub them up with skins on. boil them up in a large pot with tsp of salt to the point of not quite done. then dunk into cold water.then fire up your crock pot on high with water and a tsp of salt and put you par done spuds in to cook the rest of the way.Just time it to be ready when ready to serve.(.about 2 hrs)
You can pre make some melted butter with very fine chopped garlic and fresh parsley and add some white pepper.drain the spuds and put in the herbed melted butter over the top and fold gently to coat. serve. .

fisher, Feb 6, 4:29am
duckmoon. I would use all the small new spuds or cut the other med sizedinto quarters. scrub them up with skins on before hand. boil them up in a large pot with tsp of salt to the point of not quite done. then dunk into cold water.then when ready, fire up your crock pot on high with water and a tsp of salt and put your par done spuds in to cook the rest of the way.Just time it to be ready when ready to serve.(about 2 hrs)
You can pre make some melted butter with very fine chopped garlic and fresh parsley and add some white pepper.drain the spuds and put in the herbed melted butter over the top and fold gently to coat. serve. .
Nice thing about this is you can make it ALL before hand and then just a minute or two of work when you are ready to serve.:}

tehenga288, Feb 6, 7:43am
I would do what uli or fisher do -crockpot is good if the potatoes are precooked but I don't like potatoes done from scratch in the crockpot.