LEEKS - What can I do other than in white sauce?

Page 1 / 2
peneve, Apr 4, 1:45am
I usually just cook my leeks in a white sauce, but I want to be a bit more adventerous - any ideas? ?

ksr, Apr 4, 1:52am
I want to make this :
http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/chicken-and-lee
k-risotto/story/4102042/

hoblets, Apr 4, 1:55am
Fry in garlic butter and a little olive oil, add diced button mushrooms and 1/3 cup of chix stock reduce by half. YUMMMMMM

waipawa, Apr 4, 2:58am
cheese sauce

chrisynz, Apr 4, 3:10am
i cook mine til tender, drain of the water, add a little bit of cream of chicken soup mix , ( about a tsp of the powder) a little butter toss it through , then add a little grated cheese. . its yummy

jmonster, Apr 4, 3:17am
chicken and leek pie, leek and potato soup, use them in stirfrys, casseroles, fry in butter and sprinkle with parmesan

darlingmole, Apr 4, 4:32am
with curry sauce is nice believe it or not

huggy5, Apr 4, 5:00am
Chicken and leek pie. It is absolutely the best thing I make, sometimes I make heaps of little ones and freeze them... mmmm

coach2, Apr 4, 5:12am
slice and cook slowly, I usually sweat them in frying pan with a little butter, white wine added is very nice. Then put them over pastry. Mix 6 eggs, half a pot of cream cheese, a slurp of cream, salt ( or chicken stock). Pour this over leeks and bake. You can add cheese if you want or sprinkle over grated parmasan.

kahnyae, Apr 4, 5:12am
Sounds yummy! ! ! ! Any chance of the recipe? Thank you

peneve, Apr 4, 8:00pm
Yum! Thanks everyone. It might be chicken & leek pie I think!

ferita, Apr 4, 8:04pm
Just add leeks to whatever you are cooking. They add flavour to all savoury dishes.

samsara11, Apr 4, 8:04pm
Slice in half lengthwise and place in casserole dish. Top with tin of chopped flavoured tomatoes and can also top with cheese. Bake until cooked.

goldy5, Apr 4, 8:11pm
Leek and Potato soup. smooth and creamy

wildebeest, Apr 4, 8:13pm
there's a real nice leek recipe in an old taste mag, think it was called braised leeks... should come up on www.taste.co.nz

lythande1, Apr 4, 8:18pm
White sauce should be banned. Cheese sauce, parsley sauce yes, White sauce, gross.

leodevos, Apr 4, 11:16pm
Leek soup is great!

nanberrie, Apr 6, 9:42pm
Leek Tart is fantastic ! ! ! !
3 - 4 leeks depening on size - chopped just tender parts
salt pepper
butter 25-30g
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup cream
pamasen cheese to top
Pastry- i use frozen sheet of flakey

Cook leeks in butter in fry pan until soft, add cheese and cream salt and pepper and reduce down. Put into pre prepared pie dish or similar with REMOVABLE bottom, sprinkle pamasem cheese on top, pepper and bake for 20mins

YUMMY ! ! ! ! !

poppy62, Apr 6, 10:05pm
Gosh - this sounds nice - I think I will make it tonight! Thanks.

rema, Apr 6, 11:25pm
The Chicken and leek pie, sounds delightful - please may we have the recipe

debsaid, Jun 9, 8:00pm
I had leekie pancakes while in the UK, kids loved them, leeks done in a creamy white cheesy sauce, wrapped in a pancake with cheese sauce on top. Very tasty.

antoniab, Jun 9, 11:48pm
The Jamie Oliver website has an AMAZING recipe for pappadelle with leeks and parma ham (can be done with streaky bacon for a cheaper option) its absolutly delicious and good for using up stale bread too

beaumonde, Jun 10, 12:41pm
Made a yummy leek inspired dinner tonight after a stinker of a day at work, Cooking always soothes
I roasted two chicken breast basted with a little butter, meyer lemons juice and thyme,
Sauted a leek, with a crushed garlic and a smidgen of butter in a pan and set aside
Heated 500ml of freshly made vege stock
To that I added about 150 grm of that fast cooking polenta, I have never used it before but felt adventurous
Stirred until thick added a teeny weeny bit of cream and about 50g of parmesan cheese to that I added the leeks.
I put the "glop" on the plate and wondered if hubby would turn up his nose. Placed the beautiful looking chicken breast on top with a sprig of thyme. Added some Brussel sprout ( those are his favourite veges after broccoli)
Success! he like the " glop" more then the chicken on top, just as well with redundancies looming. It's going to be leek glop and roast veges.
I say glop because of the way it looks not its texture which is great with the leeks
Love the polenta a good base and cheap, going to try and mix some cream corn with it instead of the leeks.
(stock 1 litre water add 1 carrot, 1 onion sprig of thyme abit of parsley, salt and a few peppercorns, a few slices of leek too )

kcak, Jun 10, 8:29pm
I can thoroughly recommend this recipe by Richard Till;

Leeks in Blue Cheese Crumble
4 leeks
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
salt & pepper
1 Tbsp white wine (I used this but is optional)
100gm blue cheese (approx 1/2 wedge)
6 slices bread
2 cloves garlic
Extra 1Tbsp butter

Cut leeks into rounds & cook in salted water. drain well.
Make white sauce with butter, flour, milk, salt & pepper. Once sauce has boiled, you can add the white wine.
Crumble in the blue cheese.
Blend 1 Tbsp melted butter, garlic & bread (made into breadcrumbs)
Put leeks in the bottom of a dish.
Pour over the sauce.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
Bake 180 deg C 20 mins.

cloudberry, Jun 10, 9:02pm
Mmm leeks! My favourite veg! Every year I grow a huge crop. I also suggest chicken & leek pie, but try this too:

Chop your leek (or leeks) after washing very well. In a lidded pan saute some diced bacon, some thyme, butter, olive oil. Let cook for a minute then add the leeks. Stir so that the leeks are covered with the oil, then cover the pan and let them sweat in their own moisture on a low heat till the leeks are cooked - usually about 20 mins.

Thyme and bacon go really well with leeks. You can add some cold cooked chicken to this mix, put in a piedish, pop on some pastry andvoila, chicken & leek pie. A great way to use up leftover roast chicken.