Muffin disaster before i even got going

southerngurl, Feb 5, 11:37pm
baking isnt normally my thing but found a simple recipe for raspberry muffins. Sweet I thought ill make those.
however went to the pantry and the Baking powder has run away. now, instead of normal flour and BP can I go self raising flour and Baking Soda or is that a no no!

245sam, Feb 5, 11:45pm
southerngurl, instead of "normal flour and BP" you should be ok to just use the self raising flour that you have but I wouldn't suggest/advise using the baking soda as well, or.does your recipe have baking soda as well as the "normal flour and BP"!

Hope that helps.:-))

southerngurl, Feb 5, 11:56pm
nope no BS in the recipe. so SRF would have been ok!

chooky, Feb 6, 12:42am
I only use baking powder when I use normal flour, as far as I know self raising flour as it in it already.

lodgelocum, Feb 6, 12:47am
Yes, just use self raising flour, will turn out just the same.

245sam, Feb 6, 12:51am
southerngurl, although some recipes do require baking powder and/or baking soda as well as self-raising flour, it is not the norm. so yes you should have been ok to just use the SRF instead of normal/standard/plain flour and baking powder.
I'm sure that there would be others who would like another or the easy recipe you found so would you care to share the recipe for those muffins, and please do give them a go.Muffins are so easy to make with the only real 'secret' to them being not to overmix the wet and dry ingredients together - stop mixing just before they're fully mixed together and by the time the mixture has been spooned into the muffin tins/cases it should be just right.:-))

southerngurl, Feb 6, 1:34am
I find recipes that use cups and measuring spoons so much easier than weight so i thought this is the perfect recipe its in The Muffin book bout 150 recipes of muffins, breads etc.
heres the recipe:

Basic Muffins: Makes 10 lain or 12 w/ fruit
1 3/4 Cup plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup fresh or frozen berries
1 teaspoon shredded lemon zest (optional)

Preheat oven to 200*C. Line 10-12 standard muffin cups or line with paper cases

In a Medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir through the sugar, make a well in the centre.

In a small bowl combine egg, milk and oil. Add all at once to flour mixture and stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy) Stir in Fruit and zest

Spoon batter into muffin cups filling 2/3s full. Bake till golden brown and skewer comes clean from middle - cooking time 15 mins.
remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 mins, or serve warm.

How hard could it b, 4 stages 8 ingredients, or 7 if you reckon i can do it with self raising flour instead!

245sam, Feb 6, 1:43am
Thanks for posting the recipe southerngurl - I see no reason why you shouldn't achieve lovely berry muffins using the self raising flour instead of normal flour + baking powder, and my only other advice would be re the berries.if using fresh berries, stir them in very very lightly to avoid smashing the berries, and if using frozen berries, you may find that the muffins take a minute or so longer to cook because the berries will chill the mixture more so than fresh berries, therefore needing that extra time to cook through.
Again, thanks for posting the recipe - please do give it a try and let us know what you think but as I said above muffins are easy to make and most muffin recipes are just as easy as the recipe you found + they can be made/flavoured with just about anything, sweet or savoury.:-))

southerngurl, Feb 6, 1:47am
thanks for the help!
also would u leave the flour @ 1 3/4 cups! or make it more or less!
Im using frozen berries

245sam, Feb 6, 2:00am
southerngurl, when I'm using a recipe for the first time I usually go with the quantities that the recipe states unless, of course, it is absolutely obvious that the quantities aren't going to 'work'; therefore for the recipe for these muffins I think it would be best for you to leave the flour at 1¾ cups.So that you can compare quantities here is the recipe I have successfully used for raspberry muffins.

RASPBERRY AND WHITE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS - from Chelsea Sugar

2½ cups self-raising flour
100g butter, chopped
1 cup each ofcaster sugar,milkandfresh or frozen raspberries
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup white chocolate bits

Place the flour in a large bowl.Use fingertips to rub the butter into the flour, until well combined.Add the sugar, milk, egg, raspberries and white chocolate.Mix until just moistened. Spoon into a lightly greased or oil-sprayed 12 cup muffin tray.
Bake at190ºCfor20 minutes.Stand for 5 minutes before turning on to a wire rack to cool.Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Makes 12 muffins.

Hope that helps.:-))

southerngurl, Feb 6, 2:25am
omg heaven help me their in the oven, and rising so thats got to be good.

another reason i really liked this recipe is Im diabetic and it uses very little sugar. another 6 mins and we'll see whats going on.omg im so nervous, lol.hubby with think ive gone mad, theres also raspberry coconut ice bites in the fridge that i made this morning for him.

southerngurl, Feb 6, 2:26am
also is better to make muffins on bake or fan bake!

elliehen, Feb 6, 3:03am
Twenty firm but gentle turnovers with a metal mixing spoon is my rule of thumb :)

southerngurl, Feb 6, 3:22am
i had a taste their so delish. i had to stop myself from trying to smooth out the batter. was left chunky as when it went into the pans.