How do you get macadamia nuts tasting like....

stich4, Apr 3, 9:50pm
the ones you get in the shop? I have last seasons nuts that are still in shell drying ready to use. To roast them how long for I tried but they came out a bit too brown and were very soft. Any helpfuls hints please.

uli, Apr 3, 10:28pm
Just crack and eat - why roast them when they are so delicious to eat raw?
You can also freeze them cracked - much better and healthier as the fats do not deteriorate.

buzzy110, Dec 30, 11:10am
I'm not sure exactly what you have done there stich4. However, I can say that if the shells aren't properly dried they are not brittle enough to crack which is probably why you roasted them. Normally, after at least 6 weeks of drying in the hot water cupboard, you could put them into a very cool oven (100dC max) and leave in till you can hear the nut rattling around when you shake one or overnight, whichever comes first.

The nut inside will not be roasted at all (mine aren't anyway), will come away from the shell when you crack them and the shell will actually crack.

I have a fire so I save the shells to burn in the winter. Then I put the ashes into my garden. The area where I threw them last winter had never done much before but produced unexpectedly well this year.