Apple peeler slicer corer, has anyone bought one

wilson16, Feb 3, 1:20am
of these from one new off trademe.
And are they any good!Hoping to do some dehydrated apple slices when the new seasons fruit come in.
This sort of thing, auction no. 444457840

ayglepaygle, Feb 3, 2:14am
They're great. I'm onto my second one - took the first one to school and the kids in my class loved using it so had to get another one for home.

tasmum, Feb 3, 2:34am
You wont be dissapointed! I have one and it's an excellent kitchen gadget, especially if you have an orchard full ofapples to peel, core and slice.

pickles7, Feb 3, 3:14am
they are a. joke.

uli, Feb 3, 3:16am
My grandmother had one - and after using it for a few days we all packed it back up and resorted to knives again :)

As pickles7 said: They are a joke - and I have a huge orchard full of apples.

duckmoon, Feb 3, 4:57am
I got mine from a kitchen shop. and love love love it

wilson16, Feb 3, 4:57am
What was the problem! I heard that if the fruit are an irregular shape it doesn't work well.

duckmoon, Feb 3, 4:58am
The hardest part, was removing the core, and now I use a chux cloth (which is my kitchen cleaning cloth - but a clean one, of course) over my hand to remove it.

Also, mine has the option of leaving the peel on, which I like when feeding the fruit to the children

gardie, Feb 3, 5:00am
I love mine too.Get it out whenever I do apples - even if only a few.Easy to rinse clean in hot water.I keep it in the hot water cupboard.My kids loved eating their apples cut with it - a little bit at a time :)

dezzie, Feb 3, 5:04am
Love mine. But I agree with duckmoon the cores can be a bit sticky at times, but its miles faster than doing them with a peeler and a knife.

pickles7, Feb 3, 6:18am
yes, they miss lots of skin.then it takes longer to hand peel the rest of the apple.

tielfan, Feb 3, 6:41am
My Mum bought one as she's got a tonne of apples in her orchard.We ended up hand peeling and slicing them for all the reasons listed by previous posters.Just buy a nice comfy grip spud peeler and do it manually, it's faster, cleaner, less wasteful and quicker.

uli, Feb 3, 7:58am
The problem is that an apple from a tree in your backyard is not the same as an apple cleared for export which you buy in a supermarket.

They are often irregular or have some bad spots which need cutting out etc. If you buy 10 Braeburns from your supermarket then that gadget might work.

If you live in real life (where not 60% of the fruit and veges get composted because they have not the right shape, size or form) then that gadget is worthless.

ayglepaygle, Feb 12, 7:22am
The apple peeler rates number 9 in Stephen Fry's 100 Greatest Gadget!

lynv, Feb 13, 11:14pm
I've got one and I love it! I use it on more than apples too.When I make a potatoe bake, I peel and slice the 'pre packaged washed' potatoes with this it gives nice thin slices and then I just remove the core and slice that bit with a knife.