Mashed potato substitute

Page 1 / 2
bob955, Feb 2, 9:37pm
Can't use potato anymore.What else (besides cauli, something cheaper hopefully) would suit a vegetarian cottage pie!Thanks.

jbsouthland, Feb 2, 9:50pm
kumara , pumpkin or carrots/parsnips mashed together.

fisher, Feb 2, 10:24pm
i sometimes use kumura and pumpkin mashed together with a touch of nutmeg added.

gypsy11, Feb 2, 10:55pm
Polenta perhaps, grate in some parmesan.

kiwifidget, Feb 2, 11:05pm
isnt a vegetarian cottage pie, just a vege pie!

frances1266, Feb 3, 12:01am
There is a recipe for cooked millet and cauli mashed together that is quite like mashed potato, think you will find it via google.I had it once and it was very nice.

bob955, Feb 3, 7:32am
Probably.Recipe actually calls it Shepherd's Pie.Main ingredient is red kidney beans, with tomato paste, herbs, mushrooms and lots of onion and red wine.

Thanks so much for all suggestions- lots of combos I hadn't thought of!Will probably try them all this winter, though will be hard pressed to beat the spud taste I miss so much.

malcovy, Feb 3, 8:16am
Bob955, well drained mashed cauli with butter,salt and pepper is seriously delicious as is kumara and cauli.Adding sour cream or cream just adds more deliciousness.

uli, Feb 3, 8:19am
Cauli with parsnip
Pumpkin with cauli or broccoli

pogram0, Feb 4, 12:54am
Why not grate kumara and pile it on top of the pie.

retired, Feb 4, 12:56am
Well mashed cauli and broccolli, add grated cheese and a spoonful of sour cream, delicious.

bob955, Feb 4, 11:45am
Have written these all down

male_timaru, Feb 5, 3:04am
Hahaha uli - very similar ideas we have lol

My choices are these:
Mashed Carrot and Cauliflower
Mashed Pumpkin and Minted Peas
Mashed Cauliflower and Broccoli

uli, Feb 5, 4:54am
Now re-write your own pie recipe please :)

male_timaru, Feb 5, 1:06pm
hahaha i bet i prepare and cook them differently though lol

mjhdeal, Feb 5, 7:00pm
White bean Mash, from http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2007/july/white-bean-mash-with-roasted-garlic

2 cups cooked cannellini or butter beans (or 1 can)
1/4 cup vegetable stock (or beef or chicken stock)
1 head garlic
drizzle olive oil
handful fresh parsley, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Slice the top off the head of garlic and drizzle with the oil. Roast in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until soft and squeezable.

Place the beans and stock in a small saucepan and heat gently for 3-4 minutes or until the beans are thoroughly heated, then mash them into the stock using a fork, or if you have one, pour them into a blender or processor and process till smooth.

Squeeze the roasted garlic into the mixture (just hold it in your fist and squeeze gently and the sweet soft cloves will ooze out), then add the chopped parsley. Serve warm.

**I use one can of beans per person. Tastes great, especially with a casserole or stew.

tramore, Feb 10, 5:35am
Why not make a white sauce to put over the cottage pie, and then put breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top!

uli, Feb 10, 6:07am
Give us a recipe then :)

bob955, Feb 10, 9:41pm
Oh yum!None so easy as plain old mashed spuds, but these suggestions are gorgeous!I tried the orange kumara with parsley and garlic- the texture was great.
Thanks heaps- looking forward to trying the others.

male_timaru, Feb 11, 4:43am
lol me loves me butter uli you know that - so many would think it unhealthy hahaha

1 portion (ie would serve me OR 2 adults)
100gms butter, 8 baby carrots, 1 fullcauliflower
Cut half cauliflower into small chunks and other 1/2 into large chunks
Boil Cauli chunks and Baby Carrots for 3 minutes
Remove large chunks and Baby Carrots form pan, empty water out
Now add butter and mash mash mash cauli
Now add large chunks and mash slightly and add Carrots after and mash slightly again
SERVE on top of whatever you are cooking lol!

uli, Feb 11, 6:31am
Great recipe m_t
And of course I love my butter too - I buy 25kg organic butter every winter :)

mjhdeal, Feb 5, 7:00pm
White bean Mash, from http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2007/july/white-bean-mash-with-roasted-garlic

2 cups cooked cannellini or butter beans (or 1 can)
1/4 cup vegetable stock (or beef or chicken stock)
1 head garlic
drizzle olive oil
handful fresh parsley, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Slice the top off the head of garlic and drizzle with the oil. Roast in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until soft and squeezable.

Place the beans and stock in a small saucepan and heat gently for 3-4 minutes or until the beans are thoroughly heated, then mash them into the stock using a fork, or if you have one, pour them into a blender or processor and process till smooth.

Squeeze the roasted garlic into the mixture (just hold it in your fist and squeeze gently and the sweet soft cloves will ooze out), then add the chopped parsley. Serve warm.

**I use one can of beans per person. Tastes great, especially with a casserole or stew.

uli, Feb 9, 10:00pm
bump for more ideas.

angel404, Feb 9, 10:06pm
From where!!

frances1266, Feb 10, 3:21am
Taro is an excellent sub for potato.Reasonably easy to find now and Asian shops have it frozen.You can hardly tell the difference from potato.
If you make chips from it dont overbake as they will go too hard.