What do you use to roll fondant icing?

randomreality, Feb 1, 4:46am
Well a rolling pin obviously!But is it necessary to use the one with the spacer thingies on it to ensure a perfectly even roll!If so where do you buy one from! Or is a regular rolling pin OK!First timer here.just gathering all my info before I give it a go! Thanks :)

kiwitrish, Feb 1, 6:27am
Cake decorator here. Regular rolling pin ( I have a marble one) and spray with cake tin spray.So much easier than icing sugar and gives a great finish.

kuaka, Feb 1, 8:00am
I always used cornflour - what on earth do you mean by "spacer thingies" !

shop-a-holic, Feb 1, 9:41am
Any rolling pin which is not wood. Pastry and fondant collect all the splinters in the world.

After that., think about the items you roll when you can't see the splinters.

Nice and affordable ceramic pins are around for circa $12-$15
I've also used my pasta machine ONCE to roll fondant - but never again (LOL).

punkinthefirst, Feb 1, 8:51pm
Well. I'm a practical person and a cheapskate!
I use a length of Marley 40 mm downpipe which is about 90 cm long. It works perfectly, and is long enough to use to transfer even quite big pieces of fondant to large cakes without damage. I dust lightly with icing sugar. Any residue melts when it comes in contact with the cake.
By "spacer thingies", do you mean the 5 or 6 mm thick strips that some folks use at each side of the fondant to roll pastry or fondant to a consistent thickness! I don't use them. But you might think they're the best thing since sliced bread. Go with whatever suits YOU!

sarahb5, Feb 2, 2:11am
I'd use my tapered beechwood rolling pin because (a) that's all I have and (b) the taper helps roll the fondant or whatever else into a more even circle with less re-positioning.I did have a marble rolling pin and also a plastic Tupperware one you could fill with iced water but found them too heavy.

https://www.millyskitchen.co.nz/millyskitchen/search.cfm